Author Topic: NY Youth Waterfowl Weekend  (Read 1518 times)

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
NY Youth Waterfowl Weekend
« on: Oct 12, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »
We had an outstanding youth weekend.  We started things off with a goose hunt on Saturday morning.  Traveled down to the Southern Tier to hunt with good friends and Longneck Outdoor team mates Craig Southard and Randy Langdon.  The birds were plentiful and the kiddos had a *bang* up time.  We had 5 kids (4 boys/1 girl) and they were able to shoot a limit of 10 birds in just about an hours time.  The birds worked good and the Dakota Xtreme Honker decoys did their job.  For 2 of the kids it was their very first goose hunt.  I promise you, it won't be there last....they are hooked.

Came back up home Saturday after the hunt and ensuing pizza party to get ready for Sunday's hunt on one of my fields.  I have been watching this field for a couple of weeks hoping the ducks would be content on sticking around until the Sunday youth hunt.  Although the numbers of birds declined quite a bit, there were plenty around to give the kids another quality hunt.  I had 4 kids in our FA SUB's while one of the kids dad and another adult watched in their blinds behind the set.  A couple of things we ended up fighting was the sun and an early whackage of hens.  The first 6 birds shot were hens which made it a tuff go.  I ended up calling off shots...even with a flock of about 25-30 ducks that landed right in the kill hole.  The sun right in our eyes made it extremely tuff to pick out drakes.  I ended up having to follow the drakes as the circled behind us and then back out front.  It worked and before long we were at 8 drakes and 7 hens and that's where it ended up.  1 mallard short of a 16 bird limit.  The kiddos added 1 goose to the bag and that was the hunt.  It was a great couple of days and I am looking forward to our opener on the 25th.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
Re: NY Youth Waterfowl Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Those are some lucky kids...   WOW!

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
Re: NY Youth Waterfowl Weekend
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »
Good to see! We need more young hunters ...i plan on takiin my gf's little cousin this week hopefully there are some birds around
It flies it dies

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal