Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104365 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice Curves
« Reply #300 on: Aug 29, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
So I've been playing around with different string silencers, both bows have the recurve version Limbsavers on them and they definitely make a difference. The wool puffs look cool and quiet things well, but aren't durable and get smaller fast, especially with sticky seeds, etc., and they hold water. Had the green bow pretty quiet with a single rubber cat whisker, 2 was too much weight and arrow acted stiff.

I had tried Bowjax before, worked good on one recurve but not as well with the Mamba I hunted with for several years. They are lighter and tried a pair on the green bow since I was setting up a new string. Nice thing I have found with these hybrids is they are really easy to fine tune  bare shaft by moving the weight up and down the string. The lighter green bow needs the Bowjax pretty far out on the string, the heavier charcoal bow tunes with them closer to the center. Same bow with the heavier whiskers likes them closer to the tips. From what I can tell both types of silencers work well, plus very durable and water resistant.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: Sep 08, 2021, 12:08:59 PM »
Rewarding myself after a busy summer with another custom made bow from the same bowyer Kegan at Omega Longbows. This one is more of a true longbow at 66", the Royal Huntsman, but still has reflex/deflex for better speed. Going with Buckskin Dymalux for the riser, it's tan, brown and black, like the ASAT camo I like; with brown fiberglass on the limbs. Low to mid 40s for draw weight. He was behind and just started taking orders again, my build is to start 12/13, he's already into January after 2 days.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #302 on: Sep 08, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »
Sounds awesome Jeff, Congrats! I looked into them last year when you shared your last bow. I may grab one if I have time to even use it lol! I know how that is. I sent out a memo in early June saying I can’t look and measure or give bids On new jobs until April of next year. That’s still looking to close for comfort.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: Sep 08, 2021, 04:26:06 PM »
I'm getting to the point where my time is valuable and work not so much. Luckily, business has been great, don't even answer the phone anymore and as full as I want to be, tough to turn down money.... time to raise the rates.

Bowyer went up $100 on each bow and I think he should go higher with the demand, still less expensive than a new Bear or Howatt.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #304 on: Sep 08, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »
Nice Jeff.. Do it know while you can....   ;)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:39:06 PM »
Came across a deal too good to pass up on a barely used Royal Huntsman, just built in August. Same charcoal Dymalux as the new Native but it is much darker, black fiberglass limbs with 2 lams of hickory which are thicker than the maple lams on the others. Ideal draw weight 45#@28", 64" AMO so a little longer but not much heavier if at all.

Hoped it would tune with the same arrows but so far they were weak, bare shaft flew straight when I dropped 50 grains from the field point, so 150 grains total up front. This was with the lighter Bowjax on the string, will try the heavier rubber whiskers and may get the heavier points to work.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #306 on: Oct 08, 2021, 04:18:00 AM »
Nice looking Bow!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #307 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:56:04 AM »
Nice find !

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: Oct 08, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
It's definitely a keeper, and a couple hundred off the price. Pulled the Bowjax and tied a couple 2" cat whiskers on... and voila, tuning with the same arrows with 200 grains in front like the 2 Natives after adjusting the whiskers, makes things easy with 1 arrow. I may have to hunt with this bow, first impressions are that it is more forgiving, as it should being longer and less deflex. Finding it hard to put this thing down. Did I mention it's pretty fast, too.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2021, 07:57:36 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #309 on: Oct 08, 2021, 03:10:20 PM »
That’s great!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #310 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:06:13 PM »
That awesome

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
Now that I have this thing fine tuned it is a blast to shoot and I can drop them right in there out to 30 yards if I do my part. The bare shaft was still a little stiff, nock right and left of fletched, needs more energy. So I kept sliding the cat whiskers further out the string and eventually hit the sweet spot, pretty close to where they are on the new Native.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2021, 03:55:04 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #312 on: Oct 15, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
You need a new target brother ..   8)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: Oct 15, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
Plenty of life in that one, just getting broken in. You should see the old target in my house, big hole in the middle but works for close range.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #314 on: Oct 16, 2021, 11:38:19 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the new bow placed next to a bruiser in a pic. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal