Author Topic: Red squirrel hunting question  (Read 9667 times)

Offline rabbittrapper

• Forked
Red squirrel hunting question
« on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »
Every time I go out to hunt red squirrels they run up the tree and they never spot me. I try to use a squirrel call to calm them down and to see if they will come back down. It doesn't work. Any tips to not have them run up the tree and don't come back down.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Red squirrel hunting question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
Why not shoot them out of the tree? Just sit still for a few minutes and they will move around.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Why not shoot them out of the tree? Just sit still for a few minutes and they will move around.

x2.  squirrels aren't really bright go to where you know they are and sit there and listen and look for them then move in for a shot.  Continue to do this through out the wood lots use to shoot tons of them while a kid using this method.   

Online Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
Any tips to not have them run up the tree and don't come back down.

Shoot them before they go up the tree?         ???
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2013, 01:45:52 PM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline rabbittrapper

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
They climb up the tree and don't stop to get a shot. Otherwise I would of shot all of them. They also hide where I can't find them.

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
a little trick I used to use when I hunted them by myself was when I saw em go up a tree I would hang my vest on a bush near the tree and sneak around the other side , the critter would go to the other side see my vest and come right back around was fast shooting but effective .
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2015, 05:53:03 AM »
are reds even worth hunting? we got tons of them up here but no one hunts them as they're puny! would need 10 just for 1 person.  greys on the other hand....

Offline centerpinjosh

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
Not sure if they still do it or not but mepps would buy the tails of reds Gred's and fox squirrels for making spinners

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
Is funny but here in RI the only place you find grey squirrels is in parks. I hunt numerous management areas all over the state and in the last 15 years only saw 3 greys and I harvested 2 of them. It seems like the reds are all over the place though, mostly in white pine stands. the best day I had was 6 reds with a .22 and though nutty, they were tasty in the crock pot with some veggies and red wine. There back legs are about the size of frog legs. If I had a good spot for greys, I would be there in a heart beat! I usually only squirrel hunt if there is no ice in Dec - Feb to go ice fishing.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline BowHunterDan

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
They're usually hiding on the other side of the tree. Grab a stick, toss it over on the other side and the squirrel will usually come around to your side.....Bang! ;D Works for me.
Mission Craze 65#, Victory VForce 350, Muzzy MX 3 100g.
Remington 600, .308 Win.
Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:36:26 AM »
Not sure if they still do it or not but mepps would buy the tails of reds Gred's and fox squirrels for making spinners
i should look into that! they're all over up here and no one hunts them. they're like a rat w a fuzzy tail. they get into sheds and some houses and chew everything up! bet if i put in the time i could kill 20 or so a day. ;)

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »
Is funny but here in RI the only place you find grey squirrels is in parks. I hunt numerous management areas all over the state and in the last 15 years only saw 3 greys and I harvested 2 of them. It seems like the reds are all over the place though, mostly in white pine stands. the best day I had was 6 reds with a .22 and though nutty, they were tasty in the crock pot with some veggies and red wine. There back legs are about the size of frog legs. If I had a good spot for greys, I would be there in a heart beat! I usually only squirrel hunt if there is no ice in Dec - Feb to go ice fishing.
bird feeders have some nice fat ones! my aunt had a bunch of grays that used to hang around her place in ct. they were huge! saw some big ones while deer hunting in md. saw some grays on the university grounds  in ft. kent. never saw them anywhere else up here. wonder how they got this far north? there are about a doz. old red oaks on campus. keeps them nice and fat!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal