Author Topic: When did it all begin?  (Read 58262 times)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: When did it all begin?
« Reply #75 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »
Great pictures and story JJ..

Great story Scott...

Wish I knew the story of my roots,(or maybe not  ::) ) but that was lost when my dads, dad died young....  All I know was that the spelling of our last name changed several times when the old timers came over on the boat...

every italian that came over on the boat changed their name a million times....same history here

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #76 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:54:58 AM »
And I am pretty sure I have been to the "Root" Towns for both Loony and Dom...
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2012, 06:59:30 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #77 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:07:04 AM »
And I am pretty sure I have been to the "Root" Towns for both Loony and Dom...

I am living in the capital of gintown

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #78 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »
No your family history ROOT town in Italia...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #79 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »
No your family history ROOT town in Italia...

rome....thats where my dad came from....

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #80 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
Thought of a funny story from my first year carrying a rifle for deer....My brother and three of his buddies came up to hunt back into Ross pond area....I wanted in real bad, and since it was a week day my mother of course said no....
So after she and Dad left for work, Dad called back to the house and said hey go with them.... ;D ;D ;D I had about 2 minutes to get my gear on and we were off....Now a three mile hike to get to start hunting was rough on the young guy...especially carrying the rucksack with all the beer for the "growd up" guys.... ::) ::) ::)I made the first drive with Rick....no deer seen....we made another off that hill through a swamp....no sign....so Fred says lets go make gramps drive and we'll have lunch at the old clearing where my grandpa had his camp.....Dave and Rick headed to go drive it, and Fred, Tom and I went to watch....They put me just off this steep bank next to a small brook, and said the deer will come from over that'a way....OK!! I'm ready...set up in a blown over Beech.....nice watch....except real close to the steep bank, and with the brook couldn't hear a thing....Well after about 25 minutes I thought I heard a whistle....up behind me.....looked over my right shoulder to see what it was.....Thumping noises to my left....glance back, and deer everywhere....Filing in like cattle.....Crap, I'm turned the wrong way, JEEPERS!!! Horns...big high and wide....He settled in with all the doe's and I lost him....getting turned back to the left.....There he is, head goes back down....which one was it????? Dang it!! Head pops up, (I may have said Dang it outloud)....Settled the sights on the shoulder....wham!!!  Was like a covey of partridge going out of there...Tails bouncing!!! Another shot was impossible....No idea which deer was him....So waited for Rick and Dave to come out....They were laughing so hard when they got there....I guess Rick had made this jump from one log to another, and spun back to Dave and said...ordinary man would have fallen right there....then turned to go and both feet went up over his head and flop!! on the leaves and dirt next to the log....yup, ordinary my brother says.... 8) 8)

So after looking for what seemed like forever we couldn't find blood.....Dave says go where you shot from and lead me to it....So he is walking left to right in front of me....I say stop!! Right there...HUH, he grunted....well you got close....There was a balsam right in front of where he stood...guess he was scenting the doe with his head down when I shot....he stuck all 10 points right into that big tree(thing was at least 20" across)...and raked up about 8-10 inches.....yup..I missed...again....Was a long day after that....course a little uncomfy without the tail to my shirt....I redeemed myself the next weekend and shot a spike while driving to my other brother...but never will forget the chance at my first trophy buck.... They didn't let me forget hoppy either for quite a while.... ::) ::) ::)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #81 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »
Great story Scott. 8)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #82 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
Enjoyed reading that Scott.....keep the stories coming 8)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #83 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
I liked it too 8)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #84 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
Wish I was as old as you and had stories like that....   ;D ;D   To bad my dad didnt start hunting till I was 5 years old...   Darn city boys..    :o :o    Good thing he married a country girl. ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #85 on: Aug 25, 2012, 04:45:45 AM »
You will be..... ;)

I have a few others, but not sure about the statute of limitations..... :o :o :o :o

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #86 on: Aug 26, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
You will be..... ;)

I have a few others, but not sure about the statute of limitations..... :o :o :o :o

I won't tell on you, I think you have a fellow NY'er who would ::)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #87 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
LOL A Dunce Kap  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #88 on: Aug 26, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
hehe Sensitive people I tell you. They may have suffered from little man syndrome.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #89 on: Aug 27, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
atta boy Rusty.....Who's holding the light????? ::) ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal