Author Topic: Using an ML during regular firearms season  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Using an ML during regular firearms season
« on: Sep 08, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
So like many of you I did draw a doe permit for 2019 season.  I also drew a doe permit in 2017 and 2018 but they went to waste as I was holding out for a buck into the late season that did not work out with a harvest of a buck.  It wasn't for lack of opportunity with a buck showing up in the late season, just could not seal the deal.  So with my advancing age of 63 years old and many passed opportunities on easy shots in the last two years on large does in the first two weeks of the firearms season, I'm thinking about a new plan that would fulfill two objectives.  One objective is to shoot my first deer with a new muzzle loader that I purchased in 2014 and the second objective is to not go a third year in a row without filling my tag with meat in the freezer.  This would involve reverse thinking on my part, plan A: use the muzzle loader early on when opportunities on a respectably large doe are increased with the increased challenge of taking that deer during the regular firearms season with an ML making that a more satisfying result.  Plan b: using the trusty Winchester model 70 bolt action 30/06 during peak of the rut for a chance at a large buck if plan A doesn't pan out.  Of course than there is always plan C: go into muzzle loader only season for the last two weeks.  Just a hard decision for me with this being my 39th consecutive year of deer hunting, old ways and traditions are hard to break, have taken many fine deer over the years but only one Buck over 200 lbs back in 1999 and that changed everything with a very high standard.  I certainly don't fill my tag every year, but I do put significant time into hunting deep woods areas up to a mile back in off the closest roads and my success rate in filling my tag has been about every 3rd year.  Unfortunately degenerative disc disease and arthritis of the middle back spine area is taking it's toll and I just can't hunt that far back alone in the woods and expect to drag a large buck out alone for up to 1 mile.  Sadly, I may still go way out back alone just to get a look at a prime buck, but in respect to the animal would not shoot it, if I can't take care of the retrieval by myself.  Just curious about your thoughts?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Using an ML during regular firearms season
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2019, 07:53:38 PM »
The new age muzzleloader doesn’t add challenge like the old ones. Yes it’s one shot but so is a encore rifle and you can still shoot even 300 yards with the new ones.

Anyhow, if I can use a rifle I’m using the rifle lol. I see the muzzleloader as I hope I don’t ever need it in Maine, now in nh I love it because it gains me a extra 11 days of if you can see it and want it take it bc it’s in range before rifle starts.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »
I just got off a 8 hour sit on the bear stand and I also have degenerative discs and I can say I feel your pain, sitting is the worst for me but it seems mine are lower in the back than yours
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
I’ld hate to miss the buck of a lifetime because I was using my ML for shits and giggles with my oh-6 back at the house. Took a guy moose hunting who was insistent on using his smoke pole, he shot at 2, didn’t get one. Quick follow up shots are nice to have. Personally I only use my ML after rifle season.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal