Author Topic: Patterning out my moosberg 500 12 gauge any suggestions on where to start?  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
Picked up a nearly mint condition moosberg 500 12 gauge with a poly choke for $150 a couple months ago.  Planning on using that to chase the thunder roosters around this spring,  I know everyones gun is different but what have other owners of this gun had luck with for shot make and size for a good pattern? 
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Every gun's different, I would start with a box of Winchester turkey loads in 4's 5's or 6's and also try different brands. Remington's or federals may be substantially better or worse. Your going to have to try a few to see what's best for that gun and choke.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Where are you located? If you're around Albany I may have some different loads you can try, not sure what I have. We should probably start a turkey load exchange thread Once we find the right load for our gun we all end up with left overs of other shells that didn't group as well but someone else might be able to use.

• 6 Pointer
Where are you located? If you're around Albany I may have some different loads you can try, not sure what I have. We should probably start a turkey load exchange thread Once we find the right load for our gun we all end up with left overs of other shells that didn't group as well but someone else might be able to use.
thanks for the offer but I'm a few states north of you up here in Maine.  Guess I'll have to "bite the bullet" and spend the money on a few boxes of load

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
No one seems to have much luck with the high power loads. I'd try the 2.75-3" #5 Winchester Supremes among others.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
I have a Mossberg Grand Slam Turkey gun, it shoots 2 3/4 or 3's. The Remington 2 3/4 number 4's pattern the best out of it.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
I have a Mossberg Grand Slam Turkey gun, it shoots 2 3/4 or 3's. The Remington 2 3/4 number 4's pattern the best out of it.

;) ;) ;) ;D Same with my 870.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!

excellent Idea!!!!
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
excellent Idea!!!!
I thought so, turkey loads can get real pricey. I'd be more than happy to have someone use what ever I have rather than have them just sit around.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Good idea STKA. I gave mine to my buddies to use for patterning. First guy who touched off the 3 1/2 super mags no. 4 had a scope eye for a month.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
I think I know what that load kicks like. I use a break action 10 gauge. I think the turkey loads kick more than the slugs do out of it.

Offline Bigwitt

• Forked
I have a Mossberg 500 synthetic stock in camo. It shoots 2 3/4 and 3 inch and I've found that Hevi-shot magnum blend shoot awesome out of my gun. You can ask Dan Lais about the birds I killed with it last season. One we paced off at over 50 yards. I use the 3 inch shells. they are expencive but I won't shoot anything else out of my gun from now on.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
a heck of a shot it was witt.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline Coach

• 6 Pointer
  • member of the Durham Boys
thanks for the offer but I'm a few states north of you up here in Maine.  Guess I'll have to "bite the bullet" and spend the money on a few boxes of load
Beans will have there Turkey Expo and they have pattern your gun @ the Durham Rod & Gun club. I have gone the last couple of years. You bring your gun and some shells, they provide the targets and gave me some rounds to try.
2011 Buck Wild, 2012 Tine Lords

• 6 Pointer
Picked up a few cheaper brands to try to day,  Remington Nitro 3 inch #4 put 10 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards with the poly choke on Full,  For the price and those results, I'll stick with these.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal