Author Topic: GPS for turkeys  (Read 2688 times)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
GPS for turkeys
« on: Apr 28, 2005, 03:23:24 AM »
Does anyone else use them?
I use mine to mark spots so I can find them in the dark. Hiking before dawn with a gun is treacherous enough, at least this way I know where I'm going.
It also has topo software so I can look at areas and mark waypoints before I ever see them.
Yeah, it is a slight technological advantage, but it's the only one I use.  ;)
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: GPS for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:09:40 AM »
i dont use them because i know my areas pretty good but if i was you it wouldnt be a bad idea because of the large area you are hunting but unless you mark them the night before a gps is not much use because who knows where they will be its kinda like marking bucks during the rut it could help but unlikely the topo software is a great idea because it gives you a heads up of what the terrain looks like and you can get an idea of where to start or to mark all the spots and times you see the birds and see if you can get some sort of pattern

Offline FIRESTORMHTR

• Forked
  • 8 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 02:40:51 PM »

I use one there great,never had a problem yet,even with satielite.But you should always carry a compass with you just in case.Even if you don't mark the GPS  it will always take you to the area or by it.Just have to remember spots you like.Specially in the big woods like maine.Just my to cents.Happy Hunting all and be safe.
Dave

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:38:29 AM »
i have one but only use it for ice fishing to mark spots on the bigger lakes such as lake simcoe in canada. i do not need it for hunting due to the area i hunt is not real
large and i have been hunting it for over 20yrs so i know the terain good.

Offline Turkeyman05

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:49:26 PM »
I have an etrex and I am still getting acquainted with it. I find that in heavily wooded areas I have a hard time getting a good signal. I have to move to a clear spot before I can get a satellite fix. But I like goofing around with it.  Someday I will master it.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 05:51:06 AM »
They take a while to master!
I have a Magellan SporTrak Topo, and it took me about three months...
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal