Author Topic: 20 lber  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Dull Hooks

• Spiked
20 lber
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
Took this big ol' boy on the 16th.Went out before work that morning only giving myself a couple of hours to make anything happen.

The game plan was to walk into an area I know birds where in and listen.I went in about 5 am walked in a ways and stopped to listen.Sure enough I heard a distant gobble.I moved closer to get a good bearing on where he was.No good he was roosted on a field edge and it was wide open field between us.So I decided to sit down right there.The distance was well over 300 yds.By 5:25 am it sounded like he was on the ground already.So about as loud as I like to call I sent him some calls.The distance between us made it very hard to determine if he was answering me or not.10 or so minutes go by and I let out some more calls he answers.Sounds like he's getting closer.But now he's gobbling on is own.Out in the field.I was into to a cat and mouse game that so often comes with dealing with a field gobbler.So I poured on the coals and he gobbled his brains out coming all the way across the field.Now I was set up just off a hedge row with an opening to my left about 30 yds out.He gobbled more and more, until all went quiet and all I could hear was drumming.Had the gun up for over 5 minutes thinking he was coming through the opening but he stayed there and drummed.Finally I let out some soft purrs and clucks and he thunders back but stays there.I cannot see him due to thick brush on the hedge row between us.Again I wait for atleast 5 more minutes.Again soft clucks and purrs and he thunders back.

Then to my left I catch movement he came through the hedge row at less the 20 yds.Caught me off guard but was able to swing that way when he went behind a tree.He breaks strut to look for the hen that was telling him she loved him ( me ) and ended the hunt at 5:55 am.I was a complete wreck after it was over. It was one of those rare classic turkey hunts where you sit down and call to him and he responds to everything so perfect.

He weighed 20 lbs on the nose which are tough to come by where I live in the lake effect snow belt. 10 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs on both legs.Big ol'3-4 yr old which had this beautiful huge fan that I can't wait for it to dry so I can mount it.

And my 3 yr old boy had to come out to see what dad had too.Thanks for reading

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: 20 lber
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2008, 10:20:19 AM »
Congrats. Nice looking bird.

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
Re: 20 lber
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »
Nice,Verrrry nice.