Author Topic: Montana Trail-cam UPDATED 8/24 with videos  (Read 29326 times)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Montana Trail-cam
« Reply #30 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
Sure sounds like you are going to do it up right! I am not a fly fisherman so I do not use boots/waders, I guess when I do fish in the rivers and creeks I just wear my tennis shoes  :) I did look at the regs quick and did not see any thing but you can go here .http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/contactUs/ and either call or email and ask the FWP the question

never fly fished myself but I am gonna give it a try.....ben practicing a little and I sure probably look like a funny sight swining the thing...........I am sure bringing my spinner rod. (which I am most accustom too) ...................what do they bite on?  I have panther martins and meps?

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »

never fly fished myself but I am gonna give it a try.....ben practicing a little and I sure probably look like a funny sight swining the thing...........I am sure bringing my spinner rod. (which I am most accustom too) ...................what do they bite on?  I have panther martins and meps?
fly fishing will be your best bet but you will surely catch fish on that tackle also, be sure and check the regs where you will be fishing as the regs change across the state and around yellowstone there are a lot more restrictions. You will catch fish either way but just be sure you are not fishing in a way you could get into trouble. You can stop at any local sporting goods store and "most" will tell you how and where to catch fish.

I really do not do a lot of summer fishing, I ice fish for the most part but will occassionly hike into a mountain lake. Good way to fish and see wildlife at the same time.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
fly fishing will be your best bet but you will surely catch fish on that tackle also, be sure and check the regs where you will be fishing as the regs change across the state and around yellowstone there are a lot more restrictions. You will catch fish either way but just be sure you are not fishing in a way you could get into trouble. You can stop at any local sporting goods store and "most" will tell you how and where to catch fish.

I really do not do a lot of summer fishing, I ice fish for the most part but will occassionly hike into a mountain lake. Good way to fish and see wildlife at the same time.

well I am sure to do a ton of hiking as well.....laughing (i am already packed) .....thanks for the info...........we do not do to much summer fishing in NY either but I am known to drop a line in a time or two during the summer but it is a little slow for trout fishing in the creeks here....I ice fish as well but didnt get out only once this past season but there is always next year.....again thanks for the info.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
where is anaconda???/

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
looks like the path I will be taking when moving from south to north.......that must be the route most everyone takes?????  Cant wait............getting a countdown ready..3 weeks 8 hours and 22 minutes 38 seconds.......you would think i was 20 again lol.......but I love to travel especially now.......and I do see anaconda.....looks like a nice day stop to just visit and check out the scenery.........thanks for the info.........cant wait to see the country in person....

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
keep in touch maybe we can set something up if you are interested. Go check trail cam> Lunch> Dinner> [elk steak??] Options are open

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »
keep in touch maybe we can set something up if you are interested. Go check trail cam> Lunch> Dinner> [elk steak??] Options are open

Elk sounds awesome as well as bison.....gonna try it all.........love to check the cam with you too.....would be an awesome hike.......will let you know when get closer to the date around vacation.....if its a terrible walk in I might not be up to it...due to surgeries, chemo and recovery but I will give it my best shot.........thanks for the invites

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »
 ;D Im no whimp I can carry my own but my be little slow at times   ;D

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »
Are you coming through this area at all? If you do you should fly fish the Thompson River,  it doesn't get the press some of our other trout fisheries do but it is an awesome fly fishing experience. It is right down the road from me by ten miles or so. When you are here open carry outside city limits is legal and we have grizzlies so at least a good can of bear spray is a good plan in some places if you don't want to pack a shotgun with slugs or a hand cannon. It isn't Alaska by any means but especially when fishing or berry picking or any other activity where bears have the same plan as us humans and I am there with my kids I open carry a .454, the local game warden carries a .475 Linebaugh on his off days fishing up here in some areas so I don't think I am being paranoid, just cautious :)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Are you coming through this area at all? If you do you should fly fish the Thompson River,  it doesn't get the press some of our other trout fisheries do but it is an awesome fly fishing experience. It is right down the road from me by ten miles or so. When you are here open carry outside city limits is legal and we have grizzlies so at least a good can of bear spray is a good plan in some places if you don't want to pack a shotgun with slugs or a hand cannon. It isn't Alaska by any means but especially when fishing or berry picking or any other activity where bears have the same plan as us humans and I am there with my kids I open carry a .454, the local game warden carries a .475 Linebaugh on his off days fishing up here in some areas so I don't think I am being paranoid, just cautious :)
where is this area?  I am not sure if I am in that area and yep I have a shot gun just in case......AND A CAN OF BEAR SPRAY TOO..  I am prepared as well as I can be.....but I dont want to go and be chicken.....I want to enjoy safely I say lol
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 10:50:30 AM by loonyone »

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
I would take it easy on you. If you promise to be easy on an old guy also :) Sounds FUN !!!!!!!!!! We can drive through the hills and ya never know what we will see if you are up for that also? I carry a 44 mag and pepper spray just as a precaution when out and about.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
I would take it easy on you. If you promise to be easy on an old guy also :) Sounds FUN !!!!!!!!!! We can drive through the hills and ya never know what we will see if you are up for that also? I carry a 44 mag and pepper spray just as a precaution when out and about.

I can be good when I have to be so if you insist.....I guess I can.. ::) ::) ........Ill be easy on ya old guy   ::) ::)
but I am not that  young either................Im not ancient but no teenbopper either

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Thompson river is in NW Montana it runs from Lower Thompson lake down to the Clark Fork between Plains and Thompson Falls. It runs right under Hwy 200. There are two roads that parallel it, Thompson River Road on the West side and the Plum Creek Timber County Road on the east side. The east side has the better access points and more of them but it can be accessed from both roads: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.580036,-115.241413&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 11:02:30 AM by Cornbread »

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
Thompson river is in NW Montana it runs from Lower Thompson lake down to the Clark Fork between Plains and Thompson Falls. It runs right under Hwy 200. There are two roads that parallel it, Thompson River Road on the West side and the Plum Creek Timber County Road on the east side. The east side has the better access points and more of them but it can be accessed from both roads: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.580036,-115.241413&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=17
I will definitely be checking the area out and close by the looks of what is on the map.....you guys are giving me great areas to focus on and I appreciate it.............wish I could hit the entire state...........where are some good places to check out the hunting????? That is going to be my main focus so I can get in on a tag or two myself maybe for next year if available...............

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal