Author Topic: What is it with Vermont hunters?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
What is it with Vermont hunters?
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:24:13 AM »
              I just visited your sight for the first time & noticed that not too many of you next door like to talk about your hunting experiences, I believe it's the 4th or 5th thread down is back in Oct . 2010. I have a friend that lives up in Barton & he tells me he reads all that goes on here in N.Y.. He just got a computer & has not got around to joining MHF, I'm trying to talk him into it but he's not to computer savoy. I'll get him there eventually.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2011, 01:26:34 AM by 30-30 »

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
Re: What is it with Vermont hunters?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:25:16 AM »
I post in here from time to time, but I think there are, like, 6 of us.  hahahahahahaha.  I post in NY more, too.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »
A lot of them hunt here too 30-30.....I know of five camps that are from Vermont...they come every year as we open earlier, and they say have more deer....I'm not sure of the second part....I think we just have more state lands to hunt....

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
I am on everyday but as vermonner said there is not to many of us! Actually I got halfrack23 to join and am working on recruiting others! ;D Whats ur friends name? He is probably a acquaintance of mine to since i am one town away and i will work on recruiting him to! ;)

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
A lot of them hunt here too 30-30.....I know of five camps that are from Vermont...they come every year as we open earlier, and they say have more deer....I'm not sure of the second part....I think we just have more state lands to hunt....
You definitely have more deer there. My dad goes to Ny hunting all the time, but he says we still have more open land to hunt cause lots of NY is posted! Maybe thats why there is more deer! ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »
State lands out number private here...2-1....just one tract here is over 24.000 acres...with another one within 5 miles that is over 15,000.....as it is forever wild..not many deer at all...most are on private lands....and yes there are a lot of those posted....most from either families keeping it to themselves...or out of staters moving here and posting it up... ;)

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:56:49 AM »
There are more deer on the moon than in Vermont.  We started with antler restrictions some years ago, but that only grows antlers, not herds.  Until we improve our habitat which is mostly mature forest, not successional, our herd and subsequently our kill will remain low.  There is too much money (Taxes, camps, outof state licenses etc) tied up in the 'annual deer herd report' to believe it.  Trust me, you have more deer.  I am done with Vermont for an indefinite amount of time.  I have an opportunity developing in New Yorkand am looking forward to making that happen.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
            Hey guys I was only busting your kahonies, I see that it's only a few & I do see your post on the N.Y. & Maine sites. My friend that lives in Barton has some nice trail cam pics of some healthy looking deer.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2011, 04:53:51 PM by 30-30 »

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Vermont's ok with me, my Great Grandfather lived there. ;)
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
There are more deer on the moon than in Vermont.  We started with antler restrictions some years ago, but that only grows antlers, not herds.  Until we improve our habitat which is mostly mature forest, not successional, our herd and subsequently our kill will remain low.  There is too much money (Taxes, camps, outof state licenses etc) tied up in the 'annual deer herd report' to believe it.  Trust me, you have more deer.  I am done with Vermont for an indefinite amount of time.  I have an opportunity developing in New Yorkand am looking forward to making that happen.
My friend from Barton said the same thing sort of, he says all kinds of Doe's a few spikes no real big bucks. That too bad, a couple of yrs of mild winters might help. I like the fact you can't take spikes unless they have  @ least a 1" crotch on 1 side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal