Author Topic: Nikon L18 camera build(2nd complete build down)  (Read 9280 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
Might be where the key to your tree stand lock is... 8) 8)
Neat process to make those....Soon you'll have the whole property covered... 8) 8)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2012, 04:55:46 AM »
Might be where the key to your tree stand lock is... 8) 8)

Thats what I was thinking of, not the shed.... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »

Thats what I was thinking of, not the shed.... ;D
Dont think so never lost the key to my treestand either. ;D ;D I did have to cut the lock off cause the key wouldnt work anymore. That did make me mad and cost me a buck. Walked all they way to my stand and could get the lock undone in the morning. I tried to get it unlocked for a half hour cussing and fussing. Ended up having to hunt of the ground and got busted. ::) ::)

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build(I hate snorkels)
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
Well here are some pics of the build so far. I have hit a snag in the snorkel and I dont think I can get the shadows out of the pics. I'm not done yet so the white ubolts will be black when I'm finished. Also I realize everything isnt exactly level but thats my style.lol I still need to mount the board and the external battery holder in the case. Its all going to be on the lid/right side when I am finished.

Test pics

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
looking very nice at least you are taking pic's something you are good at I'm probably not
should try it though   ;)   :)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
The shadow is because the snorkel is blocking the flash as you probably already know. If you moved the flash, or mounted a second one it would fix the shadowing. Pics look good otherwise.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
  Pics look good otherwise.

So good I see cob webs on the celling fan.... ;D ;D ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2012, 08:32:00 PM by Raquettedacker »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
You don't want to see mine, if I turn them on it would snow dust  :o.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
Mine get real bad also.... ;D

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
So good I see cob webs on the celling fan.... ;D ;D ::) ::)
Haha you had me looking. Its actually a white box that the ceiling fan is attached to since my ceiling is vaulted. The edge cast a shadow in the pic that does look like a cob web. ;D ;D

The shadow is because the snorkel is blocking the flash as you probably already know. If you moved the flash, or mounted a second one it would fix the shadowing. Pics look good otherwise.
I originally thought that but now I don't think so. I noticed I need thicker foam around the lens hole to block the flash from getting in. Probably has an 1/8 gap due to the camera body. Also I should have put the camera on the other side of the case. Where the otterbox logo is the case sits lower than the rest allowing light to go in under the snorkel. I still have gooped it down since I experiment with the goop last night. It clear and I need something dark to take care of the flash seeping in. So I took some black spray paint and mixed it with the goop. Let it sit over night on a piece of paper to see if it would dry right and it did. Now I need to mix up another batch and mount the snorkel on and test it out.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Mounted the snorkel but had some trouble trying to cut the glass for the flash hole. ::) Now I need to order a couple more pieces of glass and a board. Good news is I think I got the flash bleeding all worked out.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build(Going to let it beat me)
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:50:42 AM »
I have been working trying to get the flash bleed out but it isnt happening. stka I think you were right dont think the flash can get all the way around the snorkel. The flash is just to close to the lens hole. I have tried several flash gaskets which were a no go. Notched out one side of the foam so the camera fits in there flush no dice. Oh well as long as the daytime pics are good what does it matter. ::) ::)  >:( >:( Just need to order some glass and then camo the outside of the case.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:03:14 AM »

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
A remote slave could be an option but dont know much about them at this point. Unfortunately there is not enough room to add an internal slave in the case.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build(Very close now)
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »
Well I kept messing with the shadow in the pic. I even went as far as to file the end down on the snorkel some. It helped the shadow isnt as bad now but still there. I think I may order a little thicker peice of foam and she if that helps. Below are a couple night test pics. The flash range is pretty good the fence is about 25ft. The lens quality at night isnt as good as one of my Sonys. The daytime ones are very good cant wait to get some critter pics with it.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 09:46:41 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal