Author Topic: Nikon L18 camera build(2nd complete build down)  (Read 9279 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Nikon L18 camera build(2nd complete build down)
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »
I have been bit by the bug.lol My buddy stopped by two days ago and gave me two cameras. Both were Nikons one was a L18 the other a L20. The L20 is pretty jacked up. Probably could fix it but not worth the trouble or the money. The L18 has a broken LCD and half a lens cover but otherwise works well. The lens cover does come all the way open when the camera is turned on. Only problem is I cant set the date or use the settings without the LCD. I managed to get the flash turned on and decided to attempt the hack on the camera. There was no video on the hack so I just went by pics. Something I could not have done two months ago. Completed the camera hack and the external battery hack and left the LCD disconnected. This camera is an 8MP and I included a pic from when I tested the hack. Should take some great wildlife pics. I didnt put the old LCD back in and I'm thinking of buying a parts camera for 12 bucks to fix it. Only disadvantage of an LCD is less battery life. So far no money invested in the build. This build will take longer since I'm not in a hurry.

The camera hack

External hack

Finished Hacked camera without LCD

Test pic
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012, 04:40:57 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
Re: The next camera build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
I've got an old 3MP Nikon Coolpix 800 from like 10 years ago.  No longer turns on, but I wonder if you could do something with it for another build.  Send me a PM if you (or anyone else) want me to throw it in a box for you.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
That is nice of you to offer that up for grabs. I will pass but thanks for asking.

Okay now I'm $12 bucks into the build with a parts camera I bought. Took the LCD out of the parts cam and put it in this one. Couldnt take the beeping when turning the camera off and on. I certainly wanted to be able to turn that off if its going to be a trail cam. Works like a charm now. ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011, 09:15:33 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Nice, you'll be looking for a job as an electro/mechanical technician soon  ;). How hard was the LCD swap, just a plug or did you have to solder it? I would have located and removed the beeper/speaker all together. I can't stand that the bushnell TC has a loud beep every time you touch a menu button, I'll be removing that before next year  ;).

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
Nice, you'll be looking for a job as an electro/mechanical technician soon  ;). How hard was the LCD swap, just a plug or did you have to solder it? I would have located and removed the beeper/speaker all together. I can't stand that the bushnell TC has a loud beep every time you touch a menu button, I'll be removing that before next year  ;).

LOL I don't know about that but I am getting better at this. ;D Actually really easy it was just a ribbon that went into a housing and a clip that folded down on the ribbon. I did get several shocks from the camera capacitor. I didn't know this one had one in it. My Covert II beeps like that. Why the heck would the makers of these camera put that feature in those I will never know. Not sure if I want to finish this build I may try and trade the camera or sell it. It was a big extending lens on it and will probably be a pain trying to get it to fit right in a case. Not to mention how close the flash is to the lens. I know these builds can be done but not sure if its for me. Plus from what I read this is not a good cold weather camera. It does take awesome pics though.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
Okay finally time to get this project finished. ;D Just ordered a SSII board for the camera, two u-bolts, and a piece of glass. Still need to order the case for the camera just haven't decided which one yet. Might go with another otterbox 3250 like the P32 build. I will post some pics of the process when I get started. By the time its said and done I will have built this 8 mega pixel trail camera for around $90.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »
Still waitng on my parts to come in. There was a christmas sale on the boards and when I ordered they were sold out of the black and white wide angle fresnel that comes with the board. No big deal I saved 15 bucks on the board itself. ;D Now I am running into an issue with making a snorkel. A snorkel is for extending lens cameras. It goes on the outside of the case and then the lens extends into it once the camera comes on. I am trying to build one out of PVC but the damn flash is so close to the lens its causing a shadow on the bottom left side of the pic.ERRRRGHH. Have to get this figured out before I start on the case.

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
so drops......I've been following your builds and researching my own stuff and almost had the bigfoot boards ordered up but didn't make the plunge because I have realized that the savings isn't enough to get me to knuckle down to the hack.  I just picked up a stealth cam, 8mgp., still & video w/sound IR for $70 brand new and knowing that I can get service through the manufacture has prevented my build.  Maybe someday I will get around to hackin one up, build a super duper cam.  I have a older 5mgp. Remington that was originally made years ago by wild game inno. it was the best camera I have had, built tough, came along with a sweet theft free locking bracket for the tree, didn't have to buy the steel back then, had video & was IR worked great for 3-4 years and then this past summer froze, turns on but won't function like the board is froze.  I've been toying with the idea of hacking into that started to and the the wife threw it away on me one day, guess she was tired of seeing it huh....! ;D  Keep us posted with your progress and picts!!!  Best of luck!

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »
Thanks for following, I put these threads up in order to draw some new homebrewers in. Careful buddy you have almost been bit by the bug. ;D lol I can understand you being detered its a lot of info to take in just starting out. Trust me I by no means am an expert but it has got easier since my first build. To be honest these newer commercial cams do have more features than homebrews for the money. However I have seen some homebrews take better pics than commercial trail cams. After this build I will try an IR build and see what happens. For me I get great satisfaction to see pics from a camera I built. Plus if I do have a malfunction I can probably fix it up. Thanks for looking and feel free to ask with any questions you may have in the future.

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon L18 camera build(Got some parts in)
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
Got the glass, board, battery for the board, HPWA Fresnel, and a pair of ubolts(Pictured below). Still need to figure out what to do for a snorkel and then pick out a case.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
Well I got the case yesterday.  Man I love these otterbox's they are rock solid and waterproof from the factory as they say. Gave it a water test right out of the package no leaks. Its almost as if this case was made for the camera. I had to remove a silver tab off the side where the wrist strap attached but fits snug. Now I just need to find the key to the garage so I can get to my tools to drill some holes. I seem to have miss placed the key and dont have a spare. :o

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
Last year the key to the shed and now the one for the garage??     :o :o
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:48:35 PM »
Last year the key to the shed and now the one for the garage??     :o :o
I never lost a key to my shed.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
I did lose my debit card maybe that is what you are thinking of. ;D ;D

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
great ;  know you are off and running ; got to find that key  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal