Author Topic: To many coyotes what do you think  (Read 2316 times)

Offline ADKDON

• Forked
To many coyotes what do you think
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
I have to say this is the first year i have seen more coyote tracks then ever before.   I have a hunting camp in Otsego county Schenevus and this past deer season has been good for me but lousy for others in my group.  6 hunters this year took 4 deer 2 of them where mine and very few where seen during the whole season by my party,  When the snow finally fell man the dog tracks where all over the place.  I gave it one more try the last weekend of mnuzzleloading with the snow being on the ground for a couple of days not even seeing 1 deer track on the hill behind my camp,  somethings wrong there.  I seen more dog tracks there than any other animal track.  I remember opening day the shooting was down and even during the season not much shooting.  Is anyone alse noticing this in their hunting areas, and if so have you been doing anything about it.  Don

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: To many coyotes what do you think
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »
Tons of coyotes where I hunt. I didn't get a good look at one this year, but saw a lot last year and missed two while deer hunting. One afternoon I saw 5-6 at the same time and see scat all over. We try to go out for them a few times a year, but don't do very well. My friend who owns the property doesn't hunt deer, but goes after the coyotes and they're getting pretty smart. If we have any relatively warm afternoons I may try to get out once or twice in next week. I try to go during a full moon, then I can see really well after sunset and it's real easy to spot them in the snow even at 200 yards.

Offline weavs150

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
set up to call them with a rodent or rabbit call also try the howl at them they will reply most the time. they will try to go down wind of yea put a guy 50 yards away down wind to pick them off give each spot around a half hour and move on to the next. i just got two fox last night that way and my brother missed one coming in from the back side, the fox will run in withing minutes if there around and the yotes will take there time comingin, im sure if you can find a group of guys with dogs they will let you join in for a hunt if you let them run there dogs on your land

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I was in the woods on Tuesday...more coyote tracks than deer....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »
I've got a buddy stand set up on a field edge. I can see and shoot almost 300 yards to the far side. I shot my '06 out of it this fall, managed a 6" group without a good rest at 240 yards. If I bring my clamp on monopod I should be lethal.

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
I also have a camp in Otsego County not far from u ,  hunted 7 days , shot at, saw , at least  10 coyotes managed 2 harvest at least 4, saw the man in green he stated to kill as many as you can , i think the number of them is outragus. Hope to try for them after the holidays, how much snow do u have on the ground ???

Offline nyantler

• Nubbie
    • New York Antler Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
The DEC claims ther are only 20,000 coyotes in all of New York.... vs 1,000,000 deer.
Joe Servello
NY Big Buck Club Measurer
www.nyantler-outdoors.com

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
I think they forgot to update the 1999 report.... ::)
If there are a million deer in NYS, they must all be on long Island.

Offline weavs150

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
i tihnk in my county 8g the numbers of both are down from the guys running dogs are saying in a great year for the fox but a tad slow for the dogs

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
I hunt southwestern VT and lots of hunters think there are to many coyotes there, and i do too. At night you can them dogs howl and it is a little creepy. The more of them you kill the better it is!

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
NY state DEC claims there the ratio of deer is 1.5 -1 doe's to bucks,they say we just don't see the bucks,they must not make tracks either.
Why does the state like coyotes so much..?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
A lot of those so called DEC surveys and reports are done by independents as well as some school programs such as Penn. state. When I reported a turkey band two springs ago, it went to Penn. state.
They asked where it was killed and then argued that they had not tagged any within 50 miles of where I shot it. So I can't think these surveys are real reliable. If NYS has a ratio even close to that, the doe permits would be adjusted significantly lower... ::)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
A lot of those so called DEC surveys and reports are done by independents as well as some school programs such as Penn. state. When I reported a turkey band two springs ago, it went to Penn. state.
They asked where it was killed and then argued that they had not tagged any within 50 miles of where I shot it. So I can't think these surveys are real reliable. If NYS has a ratio even close to that, the doe permits would be adjusted significantly lower... ::)
Like you would have any reason to lie where you shot it. ::) ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal