Author Topic: BEAR sign  (Read 3335 times)

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
BEAR sign
« on: Sep 08, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

Today I went to a new location to check out the hunting possibilties and found a great spot to hunt bear. Early bear opens soon so I'll give this place a try. In this spot there is a 20ft+- almost straight up ridge over looking a fairly flat area about 50x50yrds. It was logged few year ago and it is full of blackberries,the berries are still quite plentifull The bears have been hitting it pretty good, so I guess this is a plce to start. I've never been out in early bear but I think I might have a chance here. Anybody have any suggestions in keeping this place active leaglely?

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
Re: BEAR sign
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
sent drippers work wonders there ol man,i'v had really good luck with them in deer season...well you know lol
not sure when bears mate but its gotta be pretty soon if not already try some bear lure in a sent dripper
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
Do they make a C'Mere Bear......... ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
Bears usually mate in June bucksnort. Why you hear them hooting in the evenings then.
I would say if the weather stays warm the berries will still be a good draw for them. I've only seen two bears in all my years in the woods. Both were in the beeches.
I like to stroll through stands of beech when the nuts are plentiful. Especially early morning, they may still be in their nests. My brother has shot two that way.
I would head to that spot early, if you can skirt it down wind. The morning thermals should keep your scent going up hill.
OH and disregard the NYS C'Mere spokesman.....

Offline carcaju

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
watch how much lure you carry their is a regulation on how much you can have on you i think its 1 ounce now otherwise you can be fined for baiting.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »

I went back to that spot today and a bear or bears have torn the place up. I found where a bear had dug up some beachnuts that a chipmonk had burried. I had sprayed some fox scent on my shoes and pant leg hopeing not to leave any human scent, I don't want to drive them away. There are still a lot of berries around but I don't if they can last a week of feeding. Of course there are those beachnuts around, well maybe between the two I'll be OK.

Offline carcaju

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
took i ride up to my camp today bears have been on the move sice its cooled off a little they are hitting the berries and nuts pretty good hopefully they keep moving during daylight hrs. found some good big bear sign but they are sticking to the heavy cover and hemlock bogs .

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
We have another one hanging out in the area.. A lot of people have seen it and my boss's son got a trail cam pict of part of it on friday...  Its a very small bear/cub.. To small to be without mom. Im at work now so Im gonna check my cam when I get home..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »
I was all set to set up on a big berry patch on the power line....But someone came through and picked most all of them.....Go figure.
Do have another spot in mind with beeches. Can't believe they aren't in the apples yet. Probably to much mast falling.
Good luck 30-30, sounds like a good spot to just hang out and watch the wildlife.

Offline FULL STRETCHER

• 6 Pointer
  • killin and grillin
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »
maple syrup and vanilla extract in a scent dripper works wonder's
KID'S THAT HUNT FISH AND TRAP DON'T MUG LITTLE OLD LADY'S
TAKE A KID IN THE WOOD'S WITH YA TO PROTECT THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT

Offline carcaju

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »
maple syrup and vanilla extract in a scent dripper works wonder's
also illegal :o

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
is it illegal though its just scent not food i know i'v seen an apple scent before would that be illegal too
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline FULL STRETCHER

• 6 Pointer
  • killin and grillin
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
not if it is a ounce or less it is nothing nore than a lure in a scent dripper

Offline carcaju

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
not if it is a ounce or less it is nothing nore than a lure in a scent dripper
i posted a ounce or less further up the thread any more it is considered illegal and drippers that i have seen take more than a ounce plus you cant leave them behind or its bait.

Offline FULL STRETCHER

• 6 Pointer
  • killin and grillin
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
ok so if i am taking empty beer bottle's back to the store in my car can i be charged with a open container fine ??
just because a dripper is able to hold more does not mean you have to put more in it ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal