Author Topic: Question for fellow adirondack hunters  (Read 4519 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Question for fellow adirondack hunters
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »
I've actually had bucks come in grunting, to each other. They even answered my calls.
Best response has been the fawn bleat though by far. Shot two does on back to back days with it. One came walking right in and looking.
The second ran in, I watched her come in from well over 100 yards out. Ran right in to 25 yards and stopped to look. WACK...
I didn't have much luck with a fawn bleat until a friend shot a doe with a fawn. We were blood trailing her and this little thing was looking for her.
It was wailing. But watching it, another doe came right to it and off they went. Nature is so cool...And bowhunting has shown me more than gun hunting ever did.

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
October is a tough month for calls.  The only call you might have luck with will be a fawn bleat.  If your hunting up north don't be surprised if a black bear shows up.  The love fawns.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »
October is a tough month for calls.  The only call you might have luck with will be a fawn bleat.  If your hunting up north don't be surprised if a black bear shows up.  The love fawns.
Hmmmm. Guess I will be taking one on the bear hunt this season. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Sep 04, 2010, 06:22:20 AM »
That's also true fatman....Best one I had was a Fisher that showed up. Thing must have been 30lbs or better. Don't know if it was looking for the fawn or
maybe it just figured to clean up a kill site if something else got the fawn.
Just don't be afraid to use it like an animal in disstress.
Watched a group of deer bowhunting with Tyler one night that had winded us. They all started getting nervous and milling around looking. Tyler hit his can
a couple times and they seemed to calm right down. He got a shot as they had moved closer.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2010, 05:36:59 PM »

Yea I have! I go to THE NORTH MAINE WOODS every year for 10 days in Nov. Twice I called in deer useing Primos " THE CAN ", I got one, he walked within 15yrds the other got spooked by a moose. Speaking of moose one time I was out and I heard leaves crunching so I pulled out the call and started to bleat, I was on this rise over looking this little valley and good size moose came to the other side. I continued to use the bleat call and if that moose didn't find his way over to me. that moose came within 20ft. of me. What a rush and from that point on I started to carry a camera with me. Of course nothing like that has happened again. I 've also had luck here in the adks. with the bleat can calling in deer. I don't think it works all of time I think there is a timieing thing when an Estrus Bleat will work, of course there are other bleat calls. I guess just be persistant.       Good Luck!

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
Labor day weekend 10 years ago at our hunting camp in Speculator.  My son who was 4 years old at the time said he was going out to hunt baby bucks.  He set the grunt tube to bleat like a fawn.  He was with his cousin who was 5 at the time.  They were sitting on my 4 wheeler right next to camp bleating non stop.  I was inside doing some repairs.  After about 1/2 hr my nephew came inside and said there was a babababear outside. I walked out the door and sure enough the was a  black bear sitting in my driveway.  I was surprised and walked over to my son and put him on the porch.  The black bear just walked away back into the woods.  I will never forget that and I have had bears come in since using a fawn bleat.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal