Author Topic: Question for fellow adirondack hunters  (Read 4518 times)

Offline adk iceman

• Spiked
Question for fellow adirondack hunters
« on: Jul 24, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
as i was going through some of my hunting stuff today i relized how many deer calls i have. i have only had one response to  any of my calls (can calls, rattle, grunt tube) and that was from a button horn buck. my question is have any of you had any luck using calls in the big woods?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Question for fellow adirondack hunters
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
I love a can call early, like bow season and only have sucess with a grunt call when I can see the buck...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline 50cal-fan

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
I have had good luck with the grunt calls.  A few years ago during peak rut, I had an 8 point run to within 10 yards of me. Last year I had a spike horn come in within 20 yards. I never go into the woods without one.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »
I have had good luck with the grunt calls.  A few years ago during peak rut, I had an 8 point run to within 10 yards of me. Last year I had a spike horn come in within 20 yards. I never go into the woods without one.

Hey 50 cal... Welcome to the site...   Its a lot of fun here.. 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
I've had success with all of them. Rattled a big 8 for my nephew, My son got his first using a can to call back spooked deer. I've used the grunt
and had them run in, also mine adjusts to a doe bleat or fawn bleat. Both have attracted deer. Most people using a fawn bleat go way to soft.
If you have ever heard a fawn looking for momma it is loud and seems to never stop until it finds her. Also with a doe in heat looking for a buck
They also give a very loud bleat every few seconds. Watched on walk through at 50 yards one afternoon. She bleated every step, very loud.
I was ready for action!!

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:55:13 AM »
I've rattled a few times and once I had a big deer walk up behind me and blow at me,I never seen it--I don't use any calls but many friend use grunt calls and swear by them---

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »
I do believe in both the can calls and also the grunt tubes, remember the dacks are not like Texas, deer around every bush.

Offline adk iceman

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
thanks for the input guys. maybe the deer just arent hearing me or maybe im just no good at calling.

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2010, 09:15:51 PM »
I have had great luck with calls.  The problem is you have to use them at the right time.  The same holds true for rattling.  I have had the best luck with rattling than any other method.  The hole objective it to produce a natural sound with what ever call you use.  When I rattle I get all my gear situated in my stand.  I climb back down and find a small dead tree or branch.  I tie that to my rope.  Then when I am ready to call I yank the rope while rattling to simulate deer moving around.  Deer don't stand in one place when they are fighting.  I make as much noise as possible while keeping a good look out.  I have had great success with this method.  I have rattled in as many as 5 bucks at a time.  But I can't emphasize enough it has to be the right time.  Its also better to have someone else in a stand nearby to also have a eye out.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2010, 05:13:59 AM »
Deer calls are kind of like fishing lures, some work great on some days and not others. Depending on the time of year and the type of call ( grunt, bleat or snort/wheeze ) you could have success. In the Daks deer don't hear the amount of calling like they do down south so in my opinion it works better there. Problem is the deer densities are lower so there may not be any deer in the area to hear you. Try calling to deer you can see and gauge their reactions. You'll get the hang of it. Good luck. Cheeks out!! 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2010, 08:18:20 AM »
Cheeks you have come a long way...great job with that one!   8)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »
I had a nice buck walking away at 50+ yards turn around and come right to me after using the can......   never got a shot but it turned him 180 degrees

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
Never had any luck rattling or using the can call, dont even bother carrying them anymore. I carry a grunt tube and quite a few deer to show for it.

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »
I have had luck with grunts and can bleats, not so much with the rattling and snort wheeze. Cheeks out!!! 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

Offline adk iceman

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
thanks for the good tips guys.  im gonna try out one of the doe in heat can calls this year. the only deer call i have ever had a response to is actually a snort sound that my gramp taught me to make by blowing into my hand. it sounds like the snort that deer make when u jump them and it works great for getting them to stop after they have been jumped.  my next question is what calls do u guys use during the bow season the first couple weeks of october?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal