Author Topic: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there  (Read 29753 times)

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
Got to be some Elk Hunters out there
« on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:05:38 PM »
I am brand new to this forum and could not believe there was no Elk posts. I would like to hear from some other Elk hunters in the Rockies or the northwest. I live in Central Wyoming and my passion is the pusuit of the willey Wapati with my bow. Any others out there that think that it just doesnt get any better than being out there with the bugling bulls?
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Got to be some Elk Hunters out there
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:37:23 PM »
ive never hunted elk but i can imagine the thrill of it i always get excited watching those hunts on tv maybe one of these days ill make it out west and try my hand at it

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2005, 04:12:09 AM »
Hey Arch. How the heck are you. Its IceTroll from IS using my AKA. Somehow IceTroll for a screen name did not seem appropriate for this place. Your screen name is pretty universal however. Anyway, any time you are interested in hunting Elk in Wyoming I would be happy to hook you up. Just let me know when you are ready.

Wapati
Nothing like the Bugle of a bull Elk on a cool September morning to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2005, 04:20:41 AM »
why thank you wapati (wapati? what does that mean?) i may take you up on that someday

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 03:40:08 PM »
Wapati is the American Indian term for Elk. That is what the Native Americans called them.

Wapati

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »
all i know is tatonka from dances with wolves ;D

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2005, 06:42:41 AM »
I've been Elk hunting two time's in my life and consider myself very lucky. The first time was in Oregon with a bow and shot a small but trophy to me 5+5 bull at 11 yds.  He was bugeling his head off, what a blast. The second time was in Colorado with some buddie's on an unguided do-it yourself hunt. The second morning I got another small but trophy to me size 4+4 bull with a rifle. They are a blast to hunt but man when you do get one it's a lot of work.
      Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2005, 07:16:42 AM »
yeah carphunter i got invited to go to colorado on a do it yourself hunt this year these guys go every year and brought back pics of all the work it looked fun but man it really looked like a lot of work i cant wait

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:36:49 AM »
If you want to put the odd's in your favor start working out now. Don't be affraid to put some rocks in a backpack and do a little hiking. There was six of us that went on that trip and we all saw animals but after the first day no one else wanted to go back down over the cliff's again. I made up my mind I was going to do whatever it took to kill an Elk so off I went to where two other guy's saw elk the day before. To make a long storie short, by a 1/2 hour after daylight I had a Bull.
          Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:52:26 AM »
ive been working out for over 20 years so thats not the problem working money out of my tightwad wife is the problem ;D i was told the terrain out there is pretty rough lotsa ups and downs then lotsa weight going up and down when you get one but im sure you can verify what i was told that the sore muscles and cramps are worth the rewards

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:54:39 AM »
You know it ;)
    Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
You got it right Carphunter. In order to be successful at Elk hunting, you have to do whatever it takes and be willing to go outside your comfort zone. If you are not willing to climb that next mountain or drop into that next canyon like your buddies on your Colorado trip, you might as well save your money and stay home. Elk hunting is as much work as any North American animal including sheep and you are right. The real work starts when you got a bull on the ground. When I hunt Elk in the fall, my trip is a minimum of 18 days straight. I hunt hard, but I have also learned about hunting smart over the years. I hunt during peak activity times and I will not go into the heavy timber after bedded Elk. Its a losing game and you can push Elk right out of a drainage if you jump them from their beds. Also, another piece of advise for Archbishop, in case you ever get your wife to part with some money, is to perfect the art of cow calling. I dont use a bugle for anything other than locating Elk. I call all the bulls in that I kill with a cow call. You can get away with being a mediocre bugler since the worst bugles I have ever heard were real Elk, but if you wanna really fool the Elk, master all the different sounds that cows make. And believe me, cows make lots of different sounds depending on their mood and the purpose of the call. I have killed 9 bulls in the last 10 years. Five were with a bow and one was a record book bull that scored 328. The one year I ate my tag, I passed on 24 bulls during bow season and two bulls during rifle season. No one to blame but myself that year. Also of note is seven of those nine bulls including the big boy were killed on public land with a general license (Not a limited quota draw tag). If there is anything I can do to help any of you guy be successful on a trip out west, just ask. I would be willing to do what I can.

Wapati

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:28:50 PM »
Wapati, I know that this is a little off the subject but I was wandering if you or any of your connection's ever get into lion hunting. After this sept. I will have my caribou and the next thing on my list is a lion. I am looking for it to be the 06 ,07 winter trip. Thank's for the offers.
      Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:33:53 PM »
off the subject yes but man thats gotta be a rush going after an animal that stealthy something that has the edge over you even though you have a gun wow now that would be a hunt good luck with that
we just had a cougar sighting in the corning area of new york lady took 3 pics of it through her window and the dang thing just stood there kinda like he was stalking her scary and cool at the same time

Offline Wapati

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:40:52 PM »
I have a couple of different friends that have people that they know who have lion dogs. They routinely hook up with these people and go out to chase cats when it snows. I myself have never gotten the lion hunting bug but these guys have it pretty bad. It is a tough game chasing those dogs up and down the mountain when they are on a cat. Half the time, at least, they dont shoot the cat when its tree'd because its too small of a lion for them. I could probably find out for you if these guys that have the dogs do any guiding around here and if so I could get you some names. Lord knows we have way too many cats around here. Once I saw one in the middle of the city and know two others that have seen them in town.

IceTroll

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal