Author Topic: Rifle Calibers for Whities and Mulies?  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Long Shot

• Spiked
Re: Rifle Calibers for Whities and Mulies?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »
This is coming from a retired Wisconsin warden who did ALOT of crop damage shooting on whitetails. His #1 choice was the 25 06. It's very flat shooting has a good ballistic coefficient and drops deer dead in their tracks with minimal recoil. He shot 7mags, 30 06, and 308. Second choice would be the 270. He was definatley sold on the 25 06. All the calibers will work that have been listed, some more effeciently than others. Can't beat the Remington model 700's for accuracy right out of the box. They now come with adjustable triggers also. My $.02 worth.
Velocity is energy, energy is shock, shock is killing power. Love those cartridges that exceed 4,000 fps.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
  • I grunt, therfore I am.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
O.K. Im getting more educated by the minute    Lets look at the votes; Update Mar 28th
                                            2. 308
                                            1. 300
                                            3. 270
                                            1. 243
                                            1. 32.
                                            1 25-06
  Savage 300 and Rem 700, Thompson centerfire,    Bolts top levers for actions    Grain choices from 80- 150

( All this new gun stuff is getting me pumped and deer season is too far away)
                    Thanks Long Shot     Adjustable trigger sounds great
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
 My survey and deerman,s keep bringing the 270 to the forefront for deer hunting. the 25.06 intrigues me Too. Im new at this rifle thing so whats the difference between the two.   270,S a larger caliber?
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
O.K. Im getting more educated by the minute    Lets look at the votes; UPDATE MAR,30
                                            2. 308
                                            2. 300
                                            7 270
                                            1. 243
                                            1. 32.
                                            1 25-06
    a combined tally from my and deer hunters post concerning best deer gun also Mt Lions alternate site discussion

And the winner is ( im off to the gun shop)

270 Win.: 150 gr. Hands down. Thanks to all who helped educate and inform. You guys know your stuff!
  (there ya go jkoegle i know yove been watching this)

Offline bluegillking

• Nubbie
  • holy sugar look at the rack on that !!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
i know that 7mm mag semmi is not to popular but two years ago i shot a buck at 424 yds straight up a mnt. he was dead on the spot. they call me sniper were i hunt. ;D :D

Offline jkoegel

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
Nice results swede.
Looks like I'll be checking out some 270's at the gun shows this summer.
And a good range finder so I can take those shots over 100 yards. Previously unheard of with my 12 ga.

Offline BigRedDodge1500

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
308 For Sure.  I have three of them Ruger RSI M77 International with a manlicher stock, rem 7400 auto, and Winchester 88 lever 308.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
 Im the proud owner of a SAVAGE 270 Win. Synth. Stock. bolt, clip. and 3x9 scope!  Thanks for the advise guys!

Offline buzz1

• Nubbie
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
Im the proud owner of a SAVAGE 270 Win. Synth. Stock. bolt, clip. and 3x9 scope!  Thanks for the advise guys!
greta choice as i have a weatherby 270 w/leupold3-9 red dot and it it hasn't failed me in 20+ years

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »
Good to hear it. I wouldnt have had the knowlege myself to make a good choice if it wasnt for the great advise from all here id be overgunned. Cant wait for Montana in sept and N.Y. whities in Oct.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »
A 270 will do everything you want, so good choice. I've hunted with a guy who uses a 270 for moose, a 30-30 will work too, a 25-06 will work (a buddy who was living in Alberta told me outfitters who he knew liked the 25-06 best), its more about bullet placement and you can place a bullet better with a lighter caliber then one that your flinching from.

You can hunt everything in North America with a 270 from gophers right up to moose (I wouldn't try big bears), While there might be better guns for gophers that are smaller and better guns for moose that are bigger the 270 sits nicely right in the middle.

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Aug 25, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »
If your going for a bolt Browning has the smoothest action youll probably work.   I believe brwning also has a 270 in lever action. The blr model.  Im not saying the 270 hasn't killed alot of deer but for some reason ive seen and heard of more game lost with this caliber than with any other.  Maybe just a coincidence but you be the judge if thats what you choose. The 308 is a great woods gun but a little small for game such as moose. But you are after deer not moose.
\

They must have been PP shots ,All the top gun guru's have the 270 @#2 behind the 30-06 all around North American big game calibur.Carmichael and Bodington rate it # 1.get the facts.BB

Offline Ruger 270

• Spiked
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
The 270 is where it,s at don,t let these jokers pull your chain. Just kiddin I'm partial to the 270 but any of these rifles from 243 to 300 would make a great deer rifle it's really just what do you like think of cost of ammo, ease of finding ammo, recoil but if you are thinking of heading out west I would recommend rifles at the larger end of the spectrum but you don,t really need a super magnum. I know a rancher in Wyoming who shoots a big bull every year with his 243. I always say really big guns are made for guys who don't shoot well there's lots of great deer rifles out there go with the one you like best.

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »
I have both a .270, and .270 win short mag, and I love them both. I guess I'm just a 270 guy ;D
Iceshanty= AirManCam

Offline Jack Magnum

• Nubbie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »
HEY Thanks HT Im doing a survey to make my decision. N.y. votes count twice. I see two more posts and im a nubbie buck! Hate the fawn status. Hee Hee   Any thoughts on 308 cal?
Any of the mentioned calibers are good choices and will take deer at 300 yds. I shoot a 7mm-o8 in my T/C encore habdgun and that's a sweet caliber too. My son has a 300 ultra mag and I bought him a 270 vangard that shoots very accurate out of the box. I bought him the 270 because I know he was flinching with the big magnum and besides the 270 is inexpensive when you buy shells. That's another consideration you should think about. Cost per box of shells. Usually the old favorites like O6--270--308 are all affordable cartridges . Good luck in your choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal