Author Topic: Rifle Calibers for Whities and Mulies?  (Read 9343 times)

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
  • I grunt, therfore I am.
Rifle Calibers for Whities and Mulies?
« on: Mar 26, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Recent changes here in New York now allow rifles to be used in portions of the state. Primarily a slug hunter by force im uneducated in choosing the proper calibers for these two animals.Id like to be able to shoot up to 300 yds, relativly flat so close shots are possible without aiming a foot low and have a caliber that wont blow me out of my seat. (ive shot a 300 win mag before that did that)    I know thisfavorite rifle topic is probably beat to death but any suggestions for a new guy would be appreciated.
                                                                                        SWEDE
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline H.T.

• Forked
Re: Rifle Calibers for Whities and Mulies?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
270 caliper would be a good choice. Its a flat shooting caliper and deadly out to 300 yards or even more and it wont knock you over either. Bullets are also easily found anywhere. That is just my opinion but have shot and own many rifles.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
HEY Thanks HT Im doing a survey to make my decision. N.y. votes count twice. I see two more posts and im a nubbie buck! Hate the fawn status. Hee Hee   Any thoughts on 308 cal?
I remember every day i hunt or fish. The rest of the days I...uh...umm.. musta done something else.

Offline Sven936

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
The 308 is an excellent choice, but I am a fan of the 270.  You cannot go wrong with a 270. Flat shooting and can really reach out and get something. 

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
I will put a vote in for the 308, I shoot a Thompson Center in 308 cal and love it.  And my other deer gun is a Rem model 14 in 32 Cal.   ;)

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
I havent found a deer yet that a .243 wouldnt pu on the ground. I have shot deer up to 250 pounds and as far a 500 yrds. I trust my gun with an 80 or 100 grain bullet no matter where the deer is hit.  Overall great range, accuracy, knock down power, and comfort to shoot. I  would not recommend for bear or moose though.  (opinion)

Offline H.T.

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:17:52 AM »
My favorite rifle that i use is a 300 sav. with a 180 grain bullet. I hunt with it here in ny for white tails and for the last 10 years i have hunted in Pennsylvania and i have shot at least one or two deer every year. The bullets are not easy to find though. I also own a 308 and that gun would work well for you also weather you hunt white tails/mulies/black bear or even moose. I bought my son a 243 Remington youth gun last year and he shot a big fallow deer with it. Alot of people like the 243 for deer and it does the job but i think it would be a little light for mule deer. I would choose either the 270 or 308 that way you will have one gun that can take down just about any big game animal here in the U.S. If you dont mind i would like to know what one you decide to get. Good luck! 

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
Now im confused.   1.. Mod 300 Savage is in 308   What model # is a savage 270 Cal..................2. Now lets say ive decided on a 270   Theres different grain weights in ammo too? What parameters decide which to choose     3...Which brand is moderatly priced and the best quality for the buck? ....4 ..Whats a better choice bolt or lever?
      Told you I was new at this rifle game           Thanks Gentlemen .    SWEDE
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009, 10:13:51 AM by SWEDE »

Offline H.T.

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:21:46 AM »
I did not mean to confuse you so let me explain. obviously there are many gun makers out their like Savage/Remington and Browning ECT. The gun i was talking about is made by Savage arms. The caliper the gun shoots is 300 savage bullet. Gun makers usually offer guns in many different calipers. It just happens that the gun i have shoots a bullet that happens to have the same name as the gun maker. Yes you can go to a gun shop and ask to see a gun made by savage/Remington ect. that is calipered in 270 or 308 or any other that they have. yes there are different bullet weights  to choose from. As for what one to use and for what brand to buy i would say to buy two different brands of bullets and see what one shoots best out of your gun. It may sound weird but some guns will shoot a  certain brand better then others. The most popular brands out there are Remington/winchester and federal. I would go with a bolt action verses a lever action. Most of the bolt actions come with a clip so its easy to unload the gun. I have never seen a gun that was chambered in 270 that was a lever action. 
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009, 10:27:22 AM by H.T. WARREN »

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
Got ya H.T> Sort of like my Rem1100 12ga. Took 4 different slugs to find an amazing difference in accuracy. So ..grain weight changes will improve or decrease accuracy similar to slug brands Is your savage a bolt, lever?

Offline H.T.

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »
My savage is a lever action and i have 4-12 power scope on it. Its dead on at 50 yards and also dead on at 200 yards. keep in mind that my gun is pretty old and it was handed down to me when my grandfather died about 20 years ago. i have never had any problems with it. My other rifles are all Remington but there is nothing wrong with savage arms and they can run a little cheaper also.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009, 10:54:43 AM by H.T. WARREN »

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
O.K. Im getting more educated by the minute    Lets look at the votes; UPDATE MAR,30
                                            2. 308
                                            2. 300
                                            7 270
                                            1. 243
                                            1. 32.
                                            1 25-06
    a combined tally from my and deer hunters post concerning best deer gun also Mt Lions alternate site discussion

And the winner is ( im off to the gun shop)

270 Win.: 150 gr. Hands down. Thanks to all who helped educate and inform. You guys know your stuff!
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2009, 01:50:59 PM by SWEDE »

Offline jkoegel

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
I'll be watching this too. Still cant use a rifle here in monroe county but there a lot of new areas open that arent too far from home. My uncle has a dairy farm not too far in the new rifle area.
Taking those long shots on deer that were previously out of range with my scoped 870 is going to be real nice this fall.

I'm still learning here but my vote is for the 308 winchester. Easier to find the ammo right?
I was in the army so I have been looking at the Panther arms black rifle with a 24" heavy bull barrel chambered in 308.
How do you experienced rifle guys feel about black rifles in the woods?

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
If your going for a bolt Browning has the smoothest action youll probably work.   I believe brwning also has a 270 in lever action. The blr model.  Im not saying the 270 hasn't killed alot of deer but for some reason ive seen and heard of more game lost with this caliber than with any other.  Maybe just a coincidence but you be the judge if thats what you choose. The 308 is a great woods gun but a little small for game such as moose. But you are after deer not moose.

Offline SWEDE

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »
One more for the 308
                         Browning 308 ;  Bolt specific

One thing id like to see more of is your locations so it translates into similar topograpy that I hunt. Go to profiles and add locations so it comes up on your post.

You ballistic experts feel free to add grain weight with your choice

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal