Author Topic: EVERYONE CHECK IN  (Read 10856 times)

Offline HU1 2 3

• Nubbie
EVERYONE CHECK IN
« on: Nov 22, 2004, 04:28:49 PM »
So just wanna see hows our sask hunters doing this year I havent gone out yet But have been hearing some stories of some big bucks out there  Im hoping to get out soon maybe bag a nice buck if im lucky enough to find one LOL

Offline trev.357

• Nubbie
Re: EVERYONE CHECK IN
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:11:47 PM »
i got a 5x5 166 wt on monday in a snow storm seen about 15 good shooting bucks  i passed on. the deer really got moving while it was snowing

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004, 05:57:05 AM »
I haven't shot anything yet...but I'll give it another try this morning...no snow here!  It sounded like a war in the valley on Sat. morning but only saw 1 little buck.  I've got them on the last day before..if worst comes to worst I'll buy beef and pork and make sausage out of that! :D :D Congrats Trev357  sounds like a nice rack!  Update at noon......I saw the big basta with the drop-tines everybody's been looking for for the past 3 weeks, and what would of been a gimme with a rifle didn't afford me a shot, so I took the nice little 4x4 that came up 10 min. later. He's not a bad sized deer for what I'd guess is 2 1/2 yrs old.   I've still got my antlerless tag so I'm not done yet and at least they're moving around like they're supposed to be now!  If they kick me out of the Explorer's Club for not getting a monster this year, I'm better off. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2004, 12:54:34 PM by buzzbomb »

Offline Spicoli

• Spiked
  • The Buck Stops Here.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2004, 12:53:21 PM »
I am done hunting for they year already, shot 2 nice bucks, Mule deer south of Allan and my whitetail was shot around naicam. Neither of them are wall hangers but a good season overall.

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2004, 12:56:03 PM »
WTG Spicoli, sausage by Christmas?    ;)

Offline HU1 2 3

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2004, 04:39:06 PM »
hey buzz man where did you spot the drop horned bugger.  Ive been looking for a big buck around nokomis going out this weekend hope to bag something worth my while

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2004, 06:27:16 AM »
RWMZ, but he was heading north when I saw him last, so if he doesn't stop he should be around Nokomis by Sat. morning. ;D  This morning there were zero whitetails out there though.  I did see a couple of mulies.  I was looking at the doe across the gully, and the buck popped up 30 feet away upwind, gave a snort and took off.  You know how they run........
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2004, 11:13:10 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline HU1 2 3

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:27:47 PM »
Finally done hunting this yr got me a nice little 3x3 shot him in the neck went to go pick him up when this 7x6 walked about ten feet away and looked at me grunted and took off like a shot. man was I was swearing up a storm wishing I had waited 2 minutes more and I would have had a nice shot at him or I would have been witness to a nasty fight between the two for territory then took a shot but I had a blast missed one earlier in the day was running across the Field looked small from behind till it turned sideways and the horns were huge by the time I seen the horns it was to late to take a shot maybe next yr  if he survives the final days of the hunt I'll get a shot at him well later guy's have a good one

buzzbomb

« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2004, 05:40:15 AM »
At least when you get a smaller deer the liver's still good to eat.  We've had a couple of feeds of my famous mixed grill (heart, liver, tenderloin, mushrooms, onions and bacon).  It's all the better 'cause everyone knows it only comes around once a year, and not even then if I only shoot a big one.  One way to judge antlers and try to get around 'ground shrink' is to look at the ears.  I think it's something like 6 1/2 ".  The ears stay pretty consistent throughout a whitetails life.  I could be wrong about the length as it's been a few years since I actually measured them.  I'm going out to try to fill my antlerless tag in an hour or so and try to get back to work by noon.  Then it's butchering, wrapping, and on with the ice fishing ASAP.  update @11:30...total waste of time..zero deer-o.....maybe it's going to take another cold snap to get them going?
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2004, 11:27:53 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline Spicoli

• Spiked
  • The Buck Stops Here.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:38:19 PM »
i have never heard of that being made into a meal, i just leave the heart and the liver in the gut pile, but that is just me and i hate liver.

Offline Spicoli

• Spiked
  • The Buck Stops Here.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2004, 10:40:09 PM »
The last four items in the recipe sound very inviting though, i bet that would cook up real nice.

buzzbomb

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 01:04:30 PM »
If I saw the fresh drag marks I'd probably go take the heart  ;D It's good...tastes more like steak than liver, but that's not really surprising since it's a muscle. I didn't know how good it was until about 12 years ago when my neighbor out at the lake gave me a heart from a mule deer.  You trim the fat off the top, cut the ragged 1st slice away, wash it out real good, then slice it up about 3/8" thick, dredge it in flour and fry it just like liver.  When the blood starts coming out of one side, flip it over.  When the blood comes out the other side, it's done.  If you overcook it it's tough.  I've never eaten beef heart, but always save the deer hearts (unless they've been shot).  Livers out of large deer are too strong tasting and I believe they harbour chemicals from crop spraying, but the livers from young ones are good.  Once you try it you'll probably thank me! ;)

Offline Spicoli

• Spiked
  • The Buck Stops Here.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
Well then i might have to get brave sometime and try that.. but until then i will remain throughing out organs like that ha ha.

buzzbomb

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2004, 06:24:09 AM »
Finished the season without filling my antlerless tag....first time in a long time I've been left with one in my wallet.  Oh well, I can't mope over passing up a few iffy shots; I just won't do it anymore.  Not sorry I let the little one walk a few times either.  I tried for a couple of hours on the last day and while I heard one running through the bush, I never saw any.  Most years, there's lots of opportunities on standing does  at close range, but  all the normal patterns didn't seem to be there.  And it's like the rut just didn't happen.  I saw a bucks tending does twice when they're usually all over the place.  I think it would of been better if we'd got this snow 3 weeks ago!
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2004, 09:03:41 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline Spicoli

• Spiked
  • The Buck Stops Here.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2004, 01:08:15 PM »
I would have to agree with you about the rut, i new really saw any evidence of it being in full swing, saw a few big bucks that were still togerther. Oh well maybe next year we will get a good rut so we have a chance of catching those big ones off guard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal