Author Topic: Thank God for that Moose Tag!  (Read 11263 times)

Offline sra61

• Spiked
Thank God for that Moose Tag!
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Okay, so I've been hunting the moose for 28 days counting today. For the most part I have had very little luck finding any game. no bull moose at all yet. But I did finally find a spot that had some game. Like I said in the moose thread I have been seeing a bunch of muley does and couldn't wait to see if a buck as big and gnarly as the bull elk I got would show up. Here's what I found today. I found him on the same closed road that I shot the bull from, within 1/2 mile. I walked up the road slow, because it was so crunchy with the hard frost. There was just a skiff of snow. After I got up the road only about 1/2 mile I started seeing deer tracks. And pretty quick as I was coming around a corner I could see a doe up ahead. She was looking up the hill a lot but that was out of my sight. She didn't see me so I stepped back a step so that the brush would cover me. Pretty soon a fawn came down from up hill and started feeding, following momma, then another doe showed. I decided to check my scope and flipped up the covers and adjusted the power down to 4 from 8. I held on the doe just to see what the sight picture was like, and thought that maybe I should lay down because I was a little wobbly. The deer were only about 50 yds away. I waited a minute more and Holy Crap, this buck followed right down behind her! It was one of those times when I didn't need to look at him to see if he was big enough. I had no doubt! I didn't need to lay down. He was way bigger than that doe was. I put the crosshair just behind the shoulder and down he went. I couldn't believe lightning had struck again! He has a 8x7 frame with three sticker points on each base that would count too. Just like the elk he's got good mass and nice dark color. Hunting for the moose has been beyond frustrating, but if not for that tag, I would have never found this spot. At this point I really wouldn't care too much about the moose, but it's basically a once in a lifetime tag, so back to the moose I go after I take the horses over tomorrow to pack this buck out. I'm running out of tags though. Maybe I'll find a wolf on the gutpile?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Thank God for that Moose Tag!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
What an awesome buck...  Congratulations...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
I've been following your moose adventure and you deserve everything you harvest. What a great buck! Now go get that moose!!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2014, 04:27:29 AM »
Wow congrats on the muley.  He sure is pretty and huge.  Go get the wolf and moose.  You deserve them both.  Have fun

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:07:00 AM »
Awesome buck!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »
Great recap on the hunt and an amazing deer. Congrats.  8)

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »
Do you remember when you told me sometime the stars aline and things just fall in place !!!!
WOW very nice buck ...guys dream of the critters you have taken this year.....ok enough with thinning out the game in that area its time for the MOOSE !!!!!!!
PS  i sent you  some info ...looks like  its to far from your area....sorry just got to excited to help..
Ok now lets see a pict. of the wolf next.
I made a mistake by not going back up to the elk kill site ...we were just wore out . My son and i went four days later and found wolf tracks all over the kill site.

Good Luck !!!

Mt.Perchman
LIVING THE DREAM IN BIG SKY MONTANA !!!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »
oh and have i mentioned I love Montana........you are so lucky...too bad the job market is not so good for me

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
Beautiful muley, lots of character too! Congrats!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Wow! Awesome mule deer. go get that moose.  ;D
It'll chew...

Offline sra61

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Thanks Guys. I went and packed him out this morning, and saw no wolf. There were a bunch of ravens and a golden eagle that saw fit to help themselves to at least half of one of the hind quarters! I thought I had it stashed better than that. That's the first time I had that happen. I took some pics on the horse and with the blood cleaned off.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:01:51 AM »
Awesome buck congrats !

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
Now thats a sweet looking buck !!!!

Sorry about the info i sent that country is all new to me .
Good luck with the moose though.

Mt.Perchman
LIVING THE DREAM IN BIG SKY MONTANA !!!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »
that is a beautiful buck congrats you are having a great season
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »
 :o :o oooh man is he a sweet heart of a mu lie Awesome and well done  :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal