Hunting by Game/Technique > Deer Hunting
Deer hunting after the shot.
(1/2) > >>
carrilkim:
When I go deer hunting I will be out in the woods obviously and I was wondering if I can skin the deer and leave it hang for like 3 days till I get it to a butcher. If so what do I do?
Yes if weather allows you can easily hang a deer for 3 day if not longer as long as temps don't get above 50s in the day.  Skinning the deer and hanging it is one of the personal preferences some people swear by it others don't. 
chris338378:
I would wait until you got the deer home or back to camp to skin it so you don't get dirt all over the meat.  I personally wouldn't do this if it's going to be above 30 degrees, I'd much rather the meet freeze rather than going bad.
ship of fools:
IF ... and that is a big IF you can control the climate it will make the meat way better.

My butcher was really busy two years ago and my deer hung for a solid week in their cooler and it was phenomenal .... if you read about it most opinions are that it is a great thing. But ... too warm a temperature or big fluctuations in temp can ruin meat so be careful.
BowHunterDan:
I'd leave the skin on, keeps flies and dirt off it. Crack the pelvic bone and prop chest cavity open with a stick, hang it in the shade as best as possible. If you have a cheap field dressing bag such as the ones made by Allen, so much the better. As hesseltine32 says, watch that the temperature doesn't go above 50. I've hung mine for a week under these conditions with no problems.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version