Author Topic: .17 HMR  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
.17 HMR
« on: Aug 26, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »
Has anybody shot one of these and what do you think of them for squirrels, chucks and rabbit?  I currently use a .22 Remington bolt and was thinking of upgrading.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: .17 HMR
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2004, 05:46:39 PM »
I've test fired several of the 17HMR rifles. Marlin, Savage, Ruger and CZ...

It's a great little cartridge with inherent accuracy.

Personally I think they're too light for chuckin' and a bit too much for squirrels. They'd be perfect for rabbits assuming you can get them to stand still.

I could see shooting prarie dogs all day long with them.

RG

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »
Its a very powerful little gun.  Its what I used on Chucks before I purchased a 22-250.  As Bob stated a little to much for squirrels but if your shooting chucks out to say 75-100 yards it really puts it to them.  That little bullets explodes on impact.  8)

Offline Polar

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2004, 05:41:03 PM »
Has anybody shot one of these and what do you think of them for squirrels, chucks and rabbit?  I currently use a .22 Remington bolt and was thinking of upgrading.

I own one they are sweet.....more than enough gun for chucks and rabbitts,squirrels on the other hand a tad to much power.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2005, 05:28:38 PM by Polar »

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »
I just bought mine today. Its a Savage model 93R17. Cant wait to get scope mounted and shoot it.     Ron

PS. Look Out Squirrels  LOL
Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2005, 11:14:14 AM »
Well i got it sighted in. I was amazed at the accuracy. I shot a 5 shot group at 50 yards that measured under 1/4 inch. Here is a picture of it ready to go hunting.

Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2005, 04:58:10 AM »
Yeah, I have the same one, but a wood stock, the accuracy is great.  I have a lot of fun with mine, I use it for many different things, and as far as squirrels go, if you hit them in the head, it is not too much gun for them, assuming too much meant too much damage. shot placement can make it a very versatile gun.

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2006, 02:19:29 PM »
I just bought mine today. Its a Savage model 93R17. Cant wait to get scope mounted and shoot it.     Ron

PS. Look Out Squirrels  LOL

I just won the same model at a Ducks Unlimited banquet the other day.  :) Can't wait to try it out, but need to buy a scope for it.

What power scope did you put on yours?

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »
I put a Tasco 3x9x40 on it.                           Ron
Bobberstop

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:42:26 PM »
I put a 3-9X50 on mine and took it to Montana and shot a boat load of prairie dogs this summer, It was too much fun, the rounds are alot cheaper than using a bigger gun and you can shoot it all day long.  I took 4 of em at 600 yards, 20 at 400 yards and hundreds at shorter ranges, its performance was outstanding, I really do think it could work on yotes, but I haven't tried that yet.  Its an explosive, fast, fun round that packs a punch.

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:32:57 AM »
I'm curious how it would do with coyotes myself. I shoot them in my back field but don't like the attention the 30-06 brings. Also want to hunt them at night this winter and figure the .17 caliber won't wake the neighbors like a 30-06 report at midnight on a cold night.  ;D Guess like anything if you hit 'em right it will kill 'em.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »
a friend of mine shot a yote with a 32 special (a little too much hide damage for me) and I went to skin it out, and by looking at the size of the head and everything I am going to take a guess that it would work fine if you hit them in the head or the heart.  It was a big yote too.

Offline Poppy

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
I questioned whether or not it would make a squirrel gun also.  I bought a G2 Contender and now that deer season and the holidays are over, I have finally gotten to go squirrel hunting.  Let me tell you, a head shot or a "boiler room"shot does no meat damage.  My buddy & I have shot quite a few out to 100 yards plus and the only time that there is any real meat damage is when the shooter doesn't do his job.  This round is fabulous and a lot of fun to use.  With the "boiler room" shots, it is like hunting whitetails for 6 months each year here in NY.

Offline Lobes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
The only real drawback on this round is with a bullet so light they are heavily effected by wind drift at long range.

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »
I'm curious how it would do with coyotes myself. I shoot them in my back field but don't like the attention the 30-06 brings. Also want to hunt them at night this winter and figure the .17 caliber won't wake the neighbors like a 30-06 report at midnight on a cold night.  ;D Guess like anything if you hit 'em right it will kill 'em.
  I have a  friend in Frendship N.Y. that hunts yotes with a .17 and does well, I have a .17 also  and only shot at one yote so far, Either missed or pore shot placement no blood lost or hair so .  ?????     I have shot several fox though and I can say with out question it drops them instantly.        The head shots are small in and no exit,   the shoulder, chest ,neckshots have a pin hole in and a dime to quarter hole exit.
                                                                                                                                              Wiz
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal