Author Topic: Thompson Center Encore  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
Thompson Center Encore
« on: Sep 27, 2004, 12:13:06 PM »
I'm very interested in this gun.  Anyone use this as their blackpowder gun?  If so, how do you like it and are you happy with it?  If not, please explain why.  Also, do you convert the gun to a rifle or pistol.  Are you happy with the performance as well?

Thanks.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: Thompson Center Encore
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
I've shot the Encore pistol since they were first introduced.....I love it.

The Muzzle loader barrels for that gun are very nice indeed. If you're looking for that "multi purpose" type gun...it's the king of production models.

Obviously, to convert it to a pistol, you'd need to register it as a pistol frame and add it to your permit. I'd suggest buying it as a pistol and converting it to a rifle.

The only drawback is the trigger/sear system. It's not possible to get the light trigger that's desireable for a varmint caliber. While trigger work can be done, anything less than 3 1/2 to 4 lbs is not possible as the hammer will "push off" if reduced too far. VERY DANGEROUS.

Also, be advised ...do not expect to  add any hammer extensions to the Encore...the hammer is cast and will break from the inertia.. hammer extensions are also noted for causing misfires by adding weight to the hammer thereby affecting the force delivered to the firing pin.

RG

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal