Author Topic: Treestand maintenance  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
Treestand maintenance
« on: Jul 30, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »
So decided to start checking out all my stands for this upcoming hunting season. I found that a couple of my hang ons looked like they needed to have the cables and straps replaced. After searching all over the web for replacement cables I ended up using chain I purchased from my local hardware store. While I was at it I replaced all the bolts with stainless steel bolts and nuts. After replacing all that stuff I gave the stands along with the chains and new bolts a paint job. Got them hung today and they seem really solid. Had a really hard time finding replacement cables online. Anyone else been doing any stand work?
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Treestand maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
Money well spent Bobby.

A few weeks ago I checked some stands with a buddy in a finger lakes spot that I hunt. We were talking about the cables on one specific stand. Those rubber coated cables are tough to tell what shape they are in.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
Great idea..
I have a couple large ladder stands that I leave out. At the end of the season I loosen all the ratchet straps so they don't stretch.  Went out over the weekend and tightened them back up...One was chewed a little by the rodents and got replaced...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »
Big game use to sell replacement cables but I'm not sure if they still do.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Money well spent Bobby.

A few weeks ago I checked some stands with a buddy in a finger lakes spot that I hunt. We were talking about the cables on one specific stand. Those rubber coated cables are tough to tell what shape they are in.
It is tough to tell what shape those cables are in under that rubber coating Bruce. From a few forums I have been on I have read a ton of stuff and stories about them breaking and some of those stories had some gruesome endings! From what I understand it only takes some moisture getting under the coating to rot those cables. It could get in through really small cracks in the coating or if the end of the coating on the cable gets streached or contracts and expands with temperature and weather change. I don't really think there is a way to tell the condition of the cables under the coating. I figured I would err on the side of caution. Hate worrying about stuff like that while I'm hunting. This season will also be my sons first season in the woods chasing deer with his bow so def want it safe for him as well.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Great idea..
I have a couple large ladder stands that I leave out. At the end of the season I loosen all the ratchet straps so they don't stretch.  Went out over the weekend and tightened them back up...One was chewed a little by the rodents and got replaced...
I do the loosen the straps and re tighten as well Dom. I learned that when I went to climb up climbing sticks to my stand years ago. When I barely touched the strap it sounded like a guitar string it was so tight!!

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »
Trust me when I say you should replace those ratchet straps every year with a new one.   Buy a new chain or cable.  It will be money well spent.  Falling and breaking your back or dieing will cost you a lot more.  This is from someone who has been there!!!
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
Yeah I hear you there. Replaced mine with new ratchet straps (I put 2 on each hang on) as well as chains instead of cables. These are stands that we don't move around during the season so the noise of the chain isn't an issue. Got the climber for when I go mobile

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »
And always wear a safety harness!

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
And always wear a safety harness!
x2

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »
I have 3 way back in,,might have to take some duct tape and wire,and padding and straps,and a harness with me,,,,climbers though....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal