Author Topic: This makes no sense  (Read 2204 times)

Offline tk10fire

• 6 Pointer
  • I love stick and string
This makes no sense
« on: Apr 12, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
Hey shooting my bow to get ready for turkey and bear season here in Mb. And I have 2 things that are bothering me. I'm pretty sure my bow needs a tuneup.
My arrows are more accurate with broad heads than with field tips, and
I have a tighter group at 30 and 40 yards than at 20. Weird. ??? ??? ???
OH TO BE A FIELD

Offline bussman

• Nubbie
Re: This makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:16:28 PM »
Sounds like you could use some paper shooting. I would be willing to bet if you had someone watch you shoot your arrows are coming off the rest and fishtailing. Hope this helps.

Bussman

Offline tk10fire

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2005, 08:37:54 AM »
Sounds like you could use some paper shooting. I would be willing to bet if you had someone watch you shoot your arrows are coming off the rest and fishtailing. Hope this helps.

Bussman

Thanks Bussman, I am suspectin the same thing. My old bow was so easy to tune but this one is a little faster and shorter and seems to be a little tempermental.
OH TO BE A FIELD

Offline J_Maki

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »
Where are you going turkey hunting?

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
tk, I've done ton's of shooting from all distances. My first question is are you shooting at the same size targets? If so try shooting at a very small target at closer ranges. That will help you to pick out a better aiming point. Some guy's just shoot at the vitals on a target and dont concentrate on a small point. that should help some. Like you said, what you are having happen isn't normal. Not to disagree with anyone but fishtailing or plaining will only get worse  the further out you get. give the smaller aiming point a try.
     Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2005, 01:47:43 PM »
shorter bows are harder to tune in like you said tight group at one distance and hard to keep em in a pie plate at another i ground hunt so i like the smaller bow for manuverability but sacrifice a little left to right but like busman said try paper (i dont know your setup but) also i found that using a whisker biskit and string loop for my release helps keep the problem to a minimum over a drop away or regular rest and a release right on the bow string just my .02 hope it helps

Offline tk10fire

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks guys for the help.

Carphunter I was using a 1" circle at all distances, and I thought too that I should get worse the further I was, but no.

archbishop I am using the old side mount rest and I was looking at a biscuit just haven't picked one up yet hoping to do it tommorow. Just a little pricy. I am using a loop for my release so I'm half way there.

J_Maki I'm hunting on private farm land of friends. I've been watching your post on the bear turkey trade and didn't know how to help. All I can suggest is to go door knocking. They are always hanging around farms and wrecking silage piles.
OH TO BE A FIELD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal