Author Topic: Connecticut Hill WMA  (Read 12016 times)

Offline shantysittter

• Nubbie
Connecticut Hill WMA
« on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
The lease we were hunting got to expensive and we are not renewing it. I was wondering if anyone on here has hunted there? We are looking at putting up a tent and hunting the first 10 days of gun season. We have never hunted there, so any input would be appreciated

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
Re: Connecticut Hill WMA
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2011, 08:46:14 PM »
where was your lease?

feller i worked w went to c hiill and said it was terrible hunting. but he is old and i dont know how far he really got off the road. so i would say your best bet is to go do some preseason scouting and see if there is much in the deer sign dept and go from there.  taking someones word for anything nowadays is not a good idea.  ;D
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »
Conn Hill is across the way from our camp...do your homework do your scouting and you'lll kill deer...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline shantysittter

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
where was your lease?

feller i worked w went to c hiill and said it was terrible hunting. but he is old and i dont know how far he really got off the road. so i would say your best bet is to go do some preseason scouting and see if there is much in the deer sign dept and go from there.  taking someones word for anything nowadays is not a good idea.  ;D
[/RAMROD, We had a lease through COTTON HANLON a few years  back right at the schuyler county border. We left there and got on a lease up by Oneida Lake, constantly had people trespassing, stands stolen and people riding ATV'S through the fields at night. Last year we hunted out by Alfred, good hunting but it just got to expensive. Looking at maps and seeing hhow big C HILL is we figured we would give it a shot,without having to pay to hunt there.

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »

ive hunted it in the past , it has given up deer for me but its a zoo . gotta get off the beatin track . i like to do some early scoutin / grouse huntin to learn my way around any new state land i plan to hunt  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 01:49:49 PM by mookie »
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »

ive hunted it in the past , it has given up deer for me but its a zoo . gotta get off the beatin track . i lkke to do some early scoutin / grouse huntin to learn my way around any new state land i plan to hunt  ;)

Good advice!
John Wayne

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »

hows that ankle healin up huntny?
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Slow going...gonna be a tough mental challenge this season...but as per the doctors I am healing well...time is my only enemy...with regards to Hunting...Thanks for asking...
John Wayne

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
I think calling it a "hill" is a major understatement
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline shantysittter

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Guys thank's for the responses, I am planning on going up scouting the 2nd weekend in October. If  I get off the beaten path and get deep in the woods am I going to be surrounded by people? It looks like I can get pretty far off of roads and with alot of ridges I am hoping that I can take advantage of people being lazy and not want to walk to far. What I guess I am asking is there places I can get to that I won"t see alot of people?

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
Guys thank's for the responses, I am planning on going up scouting the 2nd weekend in October. If  I get off the beaten path and get deep in the woods am I going to be surrounded by people? It looks like I can get pretty far off of roads and with alot of ridges I am hoping that I can take advantage of people being lazy and not want to walk to far. What I guess I am asking is there places I can get to that I won"t see alot of people?
glad to hear it hunt . SS  as far as that goes on state land there is no guarantee period . i would say you're odds go up the further away from the road you go but for every lazy man out there there is one of us who will walk back far . i will say that after opening week there is less than half the hunters in the woods , but the bucks get nocturnal that's when you're scouting pays off find the nastyest piece of realestate with the best view downwind from a road and be patient , state land is tough that's why leases are gettin in high demand  >:(

Offline Davem

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
I live a bit south of this WMA (owego) and was considering hunting this site for coyote.  For those of you that have put some time in on this 11k acres can you offer any input on if there is any coyote population or too thin?  Thanks in advance if you have any feedback.

Thx
Dave

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »
I have never hunted Conn Hill but hunted across 13 on Bull Hill from 1999-2011, there were always a lot of coyotes there so I'm sure just on the other side there has to be plenty of dogs...good luck kill them all!
John Wayne

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »
I live a bit south of this WMA (owego) and was considering hunting this site for coyote.  For those of you that have put some time in on this 11k acres can you offer any input on if there is any coyote population or too thin?  Thanks in advance if you have any feedback.

Thx
Dave
           Welcome aboard Davem, why don't you post a little history about yourself.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013, 05:40:14 PM by 30-30 »

Offline Davem

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
Sure 30-30..... I'm 50 yrs old and hale from VT.  With a lifetime of family and connections much of my hunting takes place there still   I moved to the Owego, NY area 11 years ago with my wife and 2 kids.  The move to NY was for work where much of my careerand much of the past 10 yrs has pulled me away from developing local hunting spots.  It's been easier just to return to VT in order to hunt with family on lands I know. 

Well, my daughter is now 16 and i've spent the past year beginning to hunt more locally in order to expose her to the enjoyment of the sport.  She shot her first Boar a while back and now we've begun to look for areas to hunt small game (ie. coyote), thus the reason for my earlier post to any local enthusiasts.

Hope that helps a bit.  Thanks for asking.

Dave

Welcome aboard Daveem, why don't you post a little history about yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal