Author Topic: Single Arrows  (Read 14419 times)

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
Single Arrows
« on: Sep 25, 2006, 02:37:56 PM »
Why do Gander Mountain and Dick’s no longer sell single arrows?  I have not been shooting bow for very long, but for the last few years every store I have been in has sold single arrows.  If I break, bend, or loose an arrow, I want to replace it to complete my set.  I don’t need to by 6 or 12 more.

This year every place I have tried has the same answer: “sorry we don’t sell them like that any more”.   Even my local archery shop did not want to sell singles.  At least he had an understandable excuse and did sell me a shaft that he buys in bulk and wouldn’t have to break up a packaged set. 

I understand that they cannot stock every arrow that is made.  But I would think they would at least still carry the most popular sizes of the most popular brand.  There still has to be a market for them.  Maybe I am the only person in the world that wants to replace an arrow at a time?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Single Arrows
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
If I break, bend, or loose an arrow, I want to replace it to complete my set.  I don’t need to by 6 or 12 more.

you just answered your own question :-\
its all about the money, why supply 1 arrow,when they can nail you for 6 :-\

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2006, 06:20:04 PM »
In the same token, they can open a 12 pack, and sell the arrows separately for $1 more per arrow than they would have in the pack.

In my case, they did not make any money because I found what I was looking for elsewhere.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »
In the same token, they can open a 12 pack, and sell the arrows separately for $1 more per arrow than they would have in the pack.

In my case, they did not make any money because I found what I was looking for elsewhere.

how many 12 packs would they have to open to appease every hunter ???

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2006, 07:24:34 PM »
Stop trying to rain on my rant. :P

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »
Stop trying to rain on my rant. :P

no, i agree with you, i think places should have singles :-\
i also see the logic froma business standpoint ???
but if you appease the little guy, the little guy wont go to the big guy all the time ??? or something like that :D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:23:10 AM »
Lets see, I can get 6 aluminum arrows for $24 but I can't buy 1 aluminum arrow for $4.   Makes sense to me.  :P
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:29:08 AM »
Lets see, I can get 6 aluminum arrows for $24 but I can't buy 1 aluminum arrow for $4.   Makes sense to me.  :P

i know, i even agree with what BS said, mark up the single arrow $.50 or something to make it worth your while :-\ 6/$24 or 1/$4.50 etc... i dont know why more store dont do it, yeah they may be missing out on the bulk, but they will make up for it with the ton of bow hunters that go in for 1 arrow at a time ??? i mean i may not buy 6, instead just 1, but i tell my buddies that you can get singles at this store and say 10 of them go in, they not only made the extra $.50 prfit per arrow, but sold 4 more than the 6 i would have bought, then each of them tell 10 buddies, sounds like a good gig to me ??? although the archery shop i used to go to would sell them as singles to the good customers :-\

Offline scansy

• Forked
  • IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2006, 10:57:08 AM »
i know, i even agree with what BS said, mark up the single arrow $.50 or something to make it worth your while :-\ 6/$24 or 1/$4.50 etc... i dont know why more store dont do it, yeah they may be missing out on the bulk, but they will make up for it with the ton of bow hunters that go in for 1 arrow at a time ??? i mean i may not buy 6, instead just 1, but i tell my buddies that you can get singles at this store and say 10 of them go in, they not only made the extra $.50 prfit per arrow, but sold 4 more than the 6 i would have bought, then each of them tell 10 buddies, sounds like a good gig to me ??? although the archery shop i used to go to would sell them as singles to the good customers :-\

If they increase the traffic through the store from guys buying single arrows, they may increase other sales too.  You know - "Oh, while I'm here, I also need...."

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:00:21 AM »
If they increase the traffic through the store from guys buying single arrows, they may increase other sales too.  You know - "Oh, while I'm here, I also need...."

good point, how many times have all of us gone to the store for bullets and end up coming home with 2 bags of crap ???

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2006, 11:13:09 AM »
good point, how many times have all of us gone to the store for bullets and end up coming home with 2 bags of crap ???

Every time  ;D
Adam

Offline scansy

• Forked
  • IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2006, 05:45:29 AM »

Yeah, then you have to hide it in the garage so your wife doesn't see. 8)

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:14:20 PM »
i can tell you all from experience(ex archery tech at bass pro shops in detroit) that selling single arrows is the single biggest pain in the ass you can have while running an archery shop....kids play with them..they get bent...feathers/fletchings get ripped off...you have to store a million different inserts for your million differernt single arrows. people always switch a single arrow with another arrow from a box because they like the fletch color better.then the guy who comes in for a dozen doesnt want that box..or wants a discount. not to mention the total volume of aluminums sold now doesnt justify the space the display takes.it can also screw up the inventory...single arrows arent sold by the distrubitor..everything comes in bulk..so you need to sell bulk in order for the computer to adjust the on hands. you can manually do it..but in a perfect world...every employee does it...not in this world though. single carbons arent much better..theres to many brands...to many options..and people get all pissy when you charge them 5.50 for a single good carbon...and want it for the same price as the 2.00 a piece junk carbon. then theres the inserts again..every manafacture uses diffent style insterts....our store let us techs vote on weather we should keep selling them...the vote was 7-0 in favor of the nays....

now that im done ranting i understand that sometimes its nice to run and replace an arrow..but is keeping a full dozen "set" really that important.? get down to the three you hunt with..3 for practice then come back in and buy a half dozen....its cheaper anyways.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2006, 01:17:51 PM by flockshot »
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »
i can tell you all from experience(ex archery tech at bass pro shops in detroit) that selling single arrows is the single biggest pain in the ass you can have while running an archery shop....kids play with them..they get bent...feathers/fletchings get ripped off...you have to store a million different inserts for your million differernt single arrows. people always switch a single arrow with another arrow from a box because they like the fletch color better.then the guy who comes in for a dozen doesnt want that box..or wants a discount. not to mention the total volume of aluminums sold now doesnt justify the space the display takes.it can also screw up the inventory...single arrows arent sold by the distrubitor..everything comes in bulk..so you need to sell bulk in order for the computer to adjust the on hands. you can manually do it..but in a perfect world...every employee does it...not in this world though. single carbons arent much better..theres to many brands...to many options..and people get all pissy when you charge them 5.50 for a single good carbon...and want it for the same price as the 2.00 a piece junk carbon. then theres the inserts again..every manafacture uses diffent style insterts....our store let us techs vote on weather we should keep selling them...the vote was 7-0 in favor of the nays....

now that im done ranting i understand that sometimes its nice to run and replace an arrow..but is keeping a full dozen "set" really that important.? get down to the three you hunt with..3 for practice then come back in and buy a half dozen....its cheaper anyways.

who cares what you think, the customer is always right :D

i see your point though.

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »
LOL...thanks arch. :D
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal