Author Topic: Stolen treestands  (Read 11749 times)

Offline bugman1964

• Forked
Re: Stolen treestands
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »
That stinks when that happens. As far as the liability issues go, I suggest checking your state Tort Claim Laws. Here in Maine the landowner is not liable if someone is injured on your property while participating in recreational activities, even if permission was granted to the injured party.

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
tell you what if someone told me that they were going to shoot at me they better shoot straight and make sure they made a good hit. Becayse you can guarentee i'll be shhoting back TWICE

Offline snelly

• Spiked
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »

My student who had his treestands stolen came in this morning and told me that a threating letter was left in their mail box saying that if they are caught going on to the land who they suspected stole the treestands with the deputy again that they will be shot at and arrested for tresspassing without a warrant. Nice new neighbors huh? :-\  The letter was turned over to the sheriff's department.
Just be careful out there. It' not worth getting shot. It's a shame people have to be like that. Why can't they just get out there and hunt and enjoy it. There's plenty of deer in the woods. Hopefully the sheriff's dept. will do something about it.

Offline jebodai13045

• Fawn
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2008, 07:22:12 PM »
central rural ny and we have 81 acres of uphill  to hunt, have been fine for about ten years, no major issues, then this year, we put up three or four of the newer two man ladderstands at about $200 a clip,  there are four new hunters with us (all just of age) and we were planning touse them as buddy-seats. went up to recheck the signs last week and two of the four are gone.  long story short, state police say they cant do anyhting without receipts, and those suspected have other issues with the police too, in other words, we are up S,creek.  policeman DID say that as it is private property, we do not have to allow anyone on land if we dont want to, and if they are found there, they can , within our rights, be removed by force if necessary,  no guns allowed, but he said a good a**-kickin would probably work just as well anyhow.  we have now begun to mark all of our stands by drilling a pattern of really small holes in the non-wear areas, and we are trying to get a deal on trail cams as well as looking into those child locator thingies  to see if they may have an application here as well. just putting it out there guys, hope you get something from it.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
Go to you local tractor supply store, get a heavy duty, vinal coated chain and a big lock and lock your stands. It is sad to do on your own land but most people just don't respect private property any more.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Parker84

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
I hunt state land so I only leave my stands up for bow season last year was my son first year, so I put 2 stands in one tree so I could be with him and videotape went up one morning and they were gone locks and all.That has to be the worst feeling knowing that there are a**wholes out there. I dont mind if people hunt out of my stands just dont steal them after all its state land what do you do

upstatehunter

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »

we had two stolen 2 years ago. Had permission to hunt property next to ours and the owner sold it. He never called us to let us know, so up we went to set stands. First morning we split up to go to our stands and my brother came back down saying his was gone. So i went over to check my sons and his was gone as well. Someone had built an old platform in some trees, and they even smashed that up and put a big no hunting sign up on the trees. Had to chuckle this year though as they must have used copper nails and killed the trees and they are down. Also they are listed as non payers of taxes so it may come up for sale again soon. Would love to buy it and put a big no city-ots sign out on the road. Haven't lost any more stands but have skidder chain on them now.

Offline BigBucksBigBucksNoWammies

• Spiked
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
Realized one of mine had been stolen today.  They cut the lock, stole the stand,  ten feet of climbing stick, but left the safety belt. I hate to say it but i hope the fall out of the darn thing. Its sad that people cant leave whats not theirs alone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal