Author Topic: Stolen treestands  (Read 11751 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Stolen treestands
« on: Nov 20, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
I just got done talking to the parents of one of my students. He went out on opening day to his 2 man ladder treestand with his son and when he got there it was gone. So he quickly went over to his other one and it was gone too. Then he found out his neighbor was missing his stands too. Whoever did it must have had help because those ladder stands are heavy. It is pretty sad when you have to lock up your own stands on your own property.  >:(
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Re: Stolen treestands
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:14:54 AM »
I just got done talking to the parents of one of my students. He went out on opening day to his 2 man ladder treestand with his son and when he got there it was gone. So he quickly went over to his other one and it was gone too. Then he found out his neighbor was missing his stands too. Whoever did it must have had help because those ladder stands are heavy. It is pretty sad when you have to lock up your own stands on your own property.  >:(

That's a bummer roy.  :(  Those things are not cheap either  :-\
Adam

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
It is really a sad commentary regarding today's ethics, integrity, responsibility and respect for others!!  My father owns huntable property and whether our stands are located on the property lines or deep in the center, we lock them up.  We also have a deer tower (built by a family friend) and even though we have posted signs every 200 ft (or less) apart surrounding the property, we still posted the tower as another warning.  Sadly, a tresspasser could get injured on the property in any of the stands/tower and the landowner would be liable...even though the property is LEGALLY posted.!! :o ???

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:36:45 AM »
Not really, in NY if a person is injured on your property and they are tresspassing, then land owner is not liable. The land owner is only liable if he charges a person to use his property.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:40:52 AM »
Adkroy...that was not our understanding of the laws...but I prefer your interpertation and hope that you are correct.  I am well aware of your lengthy run-in with tresspassers, so will gladly defer to your knowledge.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »
Not really, in NY if a person is injured on your property and they are tresspassing, then land owner is not liable. The land owner is only liable if he charges a person to use his property.

That's how it is in WI as well
Adam

Offline flockshot

• 6 Pointer
  • I have a thing for redheads
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:04:15 AM »
thats how it is in mich as well....but if you set obsticals for tresspasers you can be charged with any injury to said tresspasser.
"Here they come...TAKE'EM"......  I see dead ducks.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:36:10 AM »
thats how it is in mich as well....but if you set obsticals for tresspasers you can be charged with any injury to said tresspasser.
You mean I have to remove my booby traps?? ???

Offline saranacjoe

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »
THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!
" Follow your passion and success will follow you"-Arthur Buddhold

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:13:43 PM »
You mean I have to remove my booby traps?? ???

That's what sucks.  You should totaly be able to put claymores with trips around any of your stands.

Since they won't let you do that, a parachute flare trip might be nice.  Let the whole damned county know you've got a trespasser.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline zooker

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:23:56 AM »
i have had 3 stands stolen on me . 2 lock ons and a climber all these stands were locked to the tree. the climber was locked with a cable lock. they simply shot the locks-masters- off.

at times i belive stealing a tree stand is almost a sport round here..

zooker

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2006, 07:00:33 AM »
It turns out that the people suspected of stealing the treestands just bought the land next to my students land. It is a bunch of guys from out of town who bought the land.

My student who had his treestands stolen came in this morning and told me that a threating letter was left in their mail box saying that if they are caught going on to the land who they suspected stole the treestands with the deputy again that they will be shot at and arrested for tresspassing without a warrant. Nice new neighbors huh? :-\  The letter was turned over to the sheriff's department.

Offline brett

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
Don't you just hate people in this world that have to be so dang inconsiderate!

That makes me so mad! >:(
I love to hunt!

Offline bwhunter2417

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
I lock all of my stands in just because you never know... there will always be scumbags out there
When in doubt....BACK OUT

trespassers BEWARE of flying objects.... they may be bullets

Offline Thomas

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:53:38 AM »
Afternoon adkRoy.
That's a shame,and just the land owner an nother reason to post...can't blame the land owner if he post know.
Hope the young lad harvest nice whitetail.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal