Author Topic: Full Choke  (Read 1249 times)

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
Full Choke
« on: Oct 17, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Is it true that you are not supposed to shoot steel shot out of a full choke barrel? I have heard this in the past and was just wondering.

Luke

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Full Choke
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
Yes it is true, the stell is harder and the full choke constricts the shot more. It can cause damage to the choke and make it so you cannot remove it, had a buddy try it with a turkey choke and now it is not removable, However I useto shoot steel out of my full on my Benelli on late season geese over dekes and it shoots fine with no issues, some claim the patterns get distorted as well with the steel. Overall probably not a good idea and a definate no no with a turkey choke. I still do it with my normal full though.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
I was told it could even split the barrel...wonder if that is just a myth though.

Thanks AA.

Luke

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
I don't know about that but still not a good idea, it does work in my Benelli just fine but I don't reccomend it. I have seen a barrell split from debris in it at the end but never from shooting steel.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Yeah I will stay away from the steel shot out of it then...thanks.

Luke

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
Factory full chokes aren't steel safe, some after market fulls are however. Certain chokes have velocity restrictions too. I know one of my Carlson's only rated to about 1550 fps.

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
It is a stock Remington Model 11. Old gun...

Luke

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
i dont know where you heard that factory chokes arent steel safe. thats completely false. in fact most factory chokes pattern steel much better then lead. however, its not recomended to shoot steel shot larger then #3 through a full choke UNLESS it says "steel or lead" on it. i owuldnt ever try to shoot anything larger then 7.5 steel through a turkey choke either or you very well could be in the same boat AA's buddy is in. (btw, a hair dryer and an impact gun should remove that turkey choke) i shoot steel #2', 3's and 4's through all my shotguns that can handle high pressure loads. that would be the only reason i wouldnt shoot just anything through your model 11 although those did have pretty tough recievers so you should be fine, however i dont shoot any high pressure loads thgrough any of my old stuff that cant be replaced like old ithica doubles and things that were hand-me-downs. typically a little more open choke will pattern steel better anyhow. the barrel splitting theory is BS due to using steel. that is somehting that could happen w/ even the lightest skeet load if the barrel is obstructed. ive seen it a few times rabboit hunting and once w/ an old single shot 10ga duck hunting. another thing to keep in mind is how tight is it? mic it if your worried. not all chokes mic out the same even though they are supposed to be a certain restriction. other then that if yo9u wanna shoot non tox stuff youll have to spend the big bucks lol good luck!

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Its a fixed choke barrel, not a screw in type? I think you'd be fine, id stick with 3" #2's and smaller. Might spend a little time shooting paper and see whats gonna work best. Definitely no hypersonics and the like. I don't know of any other non toxic that would be any less malleable than steel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal