Author Topic: squirrel calling  (Read 1433 times)

Offline youngcoyotehunter16

• Spiked
  • Stay true, Hunt Blue
squirrel calling
« on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
How do you guys attract squirrels? I have plenty in my area just can't seem to gett the little buggers in shooting range. Smoked two this past season one at ten feet with a 12 gauge. and one at 60+ yards with a 22.
In the words of a true coon hunter, When the tailgate drops, the bull@$%* stops.

aka: brookiebandit13 (IS) (MFF)

Offline SLED_NECK

• Forked
  • Shoot em again he's still runnin with 3 legs
Re: squirrel calling
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »
i just wait till they come up toour bird feeder its a easy 10 foot shot out of a window lol

[IMG]

Offline AD

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
I saw a show where a guy took his pocket knife and was gratting it against a walnut, making it sound like a squirrel was eating on it.     That seems like it would be a good idea, to at leaste get a squirrel curious enough to come looking if you were hidden real well.     Even if it would pull the squirrel back around a tree to the side where you could get a shot at it, or pull them up out of a nest.     
       How I tend to do it is if I know Im in an active squireel area and Im hunting for them, Ill pick a good spot and sit down for a bit and stay hidden as best as I can and let the woods "settle back down".     Sometimes it takes a few minutes, other times it just doesnt happen.  If that doesnt work Ill ease as slowly and quietly as I can through the woods.    Pausing here and there behind a tree for a few mins.  Didnt do much squirrel hunting last fall but the fall before I made out real well with these two methods (26 squirrels, with my "limit" several days)     That and Ill wear camo BDU's and a cammo t-shirt, and even use no scent.   Dunno how well they smell but if nothing else it gives great practice before deer season.   
....  You can't eat the antlers ....

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
How do you guys attract squirrels? I have plenty in my area just can't seem to gett the little buggers in shooting range. Smoked two this past season one at ten feet with a 12 gauge. and one at 60+ yards with a 22.

Bet the 10ft shot with the shotgun made for some good eatin'... lol....  I never called squirrels in but like AD suggested; snuck in and waited in areas with Beech Nuts...  After things "Settle down a bit" you should have squirrels getting close to you.   Shot many squirrels like that with my crossman 760 air rifle.  You can still hunt them (stalk) also,  move real slow and use your eyes...
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2009, 04:42:56 PM by Issiah »

Offline camocrazy82

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »
Dont attract them, HUNT THEM. Camo clothes, Stealthy stalks. Hide behind trees watch the oaks, Dont forget the ground. Open your ears. I dont use calls and can shoot my fair share. Look and listen, Look and Listen, Look and Listen. My favorite time is when the leaves die and are dropping. You can hear a nut cracker a mile away.

Offline HUNT FISH COOK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
have a bird feeder out then hit them with the pellet gun or 22
kill it be for u grill it

Offline outbackshooter

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
When hunting them and you see one go in it's nest set up within shooting range and conceal yourself and wait it out.It will come back out
once things quiet down and it thinks the trouble has passed. While waiting be scanning the woods for the others to know where to set
up next. A squirrel call does work but not really to call them in but as a locator call when you chatter on the call they will start shaking their
tails real aggresively and also bark back at it which makes it easy to spot because that bushy tail whipping around sticks out like a sore thumb
against the skyline.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal