Author Topic: Bows for women  (Read 2479 times)

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
Bows for women
« on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »
I want to get my wife a bow so we can spend time shooting together.  My wife has no intrest in hunting but would give shooting a try.  I have to thank Dream Season Couples for getting her intrest and saying she would give it a try.  Does anyone's wives shoot and if so what is a good bow for a good price that she would enjoy.  Thanks gentlemen for the assistance.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Bows for women
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:29:17 AM »
Get the Genisis bow. I think Mathews makes it. It is a compound but the farther you pull back the more poundage it is.

The other thing is go to a bow shop and check out their used bow section. Start her off on something in the 35-45 pound range.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
My wife not only shoots but hunts and teaches bowhunter education.  She started out with a Bear Shadow it was a good bow went up to like 50 lbs had 75% let off.  Most bow mfgs now make bows for women and kids.  I would go to your local bow shop see what they have new (for the first bow you dont want anybody elses proubs) in her size.  When my wife first got into shooting the bow the shop I was going to at the time had a couples winter leage.  It was great we would go shoot every friday night with 4 other couples.  Everyone would bring somthing to eat and we would have a little "wine and cheese" party afterwards.  Was out date night.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »
My girlfriend has a Hoyt Trykon Sport.  I think it's actually a kids bow, but she is pretty small so it fits her well.  She just shot her first deer with it this week.

Offline Mooter

• 6 Pointer
  • NICE RACK
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2007, 04:29:23 PM »
I would recommend going to a store with a indoor range (if you have one available).  They usually will let you sample a few to figure out what works best for you.

You should have seen the one I let get away.
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/link.php?id=TW9vdGVy

Offline elkcrazedfrk

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »
yep..go try a few out. Make sure she enjoys it before you go dump a bunch of coin into something that may sit in the closet. Best of luck. ;)

Offline icechick

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
Just from a woman's perspective I shoot a Hoyt Selena. I love the thing and shoot about twice a week indoors and outdoors. The Selena is actually built for women. It is shorter, lighter and has I do believe a 75% let off. The only down fall is that you have to order in a certain pound range such as 40-50 or 50-60. The speed is not as quick as other bows but shoots nice and smooth with a smooth draw back. But as said in the post before I shot a lot of different bows before picking out my Hoyt.

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
Thanks everyone I appreciate it.  I am going to try to find something after the season.  Like I said, my wife has no desire to hunt but she is very athletic and has a competitive streak.  I want to be able to go to the range and shoot together.  With our set of twins, this could be an activity that will afford us more time to spend together.  Thanks again for all of the information. 

Good luck to everyone this season.  Stay safe

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal