Author Topic: Binoculars  (Read 3414 times)

Offline goat getter

• Nubbie
Binoculars
« on: Oct 31, 2004, 09:42:53 AM »

I am looking at a pair of Swarovski 10x40 EL glasses. They are too expensive but supposedly the top of the line. They are very clear and have enough eye- relief for use with glasses. I still am having a hard time investing that much money.
Any feedback about this brand, model, etc?

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2004, 03:53:33 PM »
Can't do any better than Swarovski or Zeiss in that price range. You'll never regret the investment. Very easy on the eyes doing  long range scanning  for long periods of time.
RG

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2004, 06:54:58 AM »
     If you have the cash I would buy them in a heartbeat.  Binoculars are really a you get what you pay for item.  I have a pair of  nikon monarchs that work well but were about $300.  That was money well spent.  My buddy got an $800 pair and you can really see the $500 difference.  Spent as much as you can afford and then a little more.

Offline goat getter

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2004, 08:31:09 PM »

I know there is a big difference in binoculars. I got my first pair for Christmas in 1968. A pair of Mercury 7x35, great glasses when you haven't had any. They still aren't too bad. My second pair was a pair of $30 Tascos. I bought a compact pair of Bausch and Lomb glasses, OK but not worth much after looking through the Swarovski glasses. The eye relief is great, no need to take off my glasses, but the $1,680 price tag sets me back. There is no comparison to the cheap glasses I now have. I will probably wait for a year, by then they will cost $1,800 !!

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2004, 03:27:40 AM »
If you're going to step up to that fine an optic, be sure to check out a couple of others as well.
Leica
Stiener
Leupold
Zeiss

All have great features in high quality optics.
RG

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2004, 07:15:10 AM »
I recently picked up a pair of Nikon 10X50 binoculars in the $100+ range and am very impressed!  Compared to the Monarchs I see no noticable difference.  I'm not comparing them to the high end manufacturors but a great buy for the $$$.  I'm very impressed with Nikon optics in general.  The clearest and best light gathering scope I own is a 3-9 Nikon and that is compared to several Leupold VariX- II and III's and Redfield Illuminators.  Another good buy for the money is BSA.  I have a 8-32X44 BSA on my chuck gun (Rem. 700 VLS in .260 Rem.), great scope!  After owning this scope for several years I would be interested in checking out there other optics.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2004, 06:32:53 PM »
I have a pair of Steiner Predator 8x30's, and they're awesome! They're far-and-away the best binoculars I've ever owned. Persoanlly, I don't think you can find a better pair in the $300 range.

-Zach

Offline Ihunt

• Nubbie
  • Hunting Is Life
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:55:39 PM »
I would love to have the expensive glasses but cannot.  My Nikons are great.
Let Me Hunt, Let Me Hunt, Let Me Hunt

Offline Arkansas Frog

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2005, 11:34:45 AM »
I think if you are young and do a lot of hunting where you will get your moneys worth,take care of them it is the correct thing to do go for the best, but if you are 71 like me and shoot a few coyotes,you might not live long enough to get your moneys worth. just my 2 cents.

Arkansas Frog

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »
my granddad has a pair that are eithe stiener or swarcofski but eatheir way they are sweet ;D ;D
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2005, 12:37:43 PM »
i hunt the hardwoods so i have small cheap binos because i cant see that far just better with them but if you hunt open areas where you can see a great distance good binos are almost as important as your gun maybe more because without seeing the game your gun is useless

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal