Author Topic: Searching for a 20 Guage Barrell  (Read 6855 times)

Offline EarlySunrise

• Forked
Searching for a 20 Guage Barrell
« on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
Afternoon,

Just picked up a 20ga remington 870 and I am looking for a SMOOTH BORE slug barrell. The item # is 24578 and it is a 20 inch with rifled sights and a modified cylinder. I am trying to track one down thats used but it's looking like there aren't many around. Not really trying to spend the $200 on a new one. Has anyone seen one or have one? I'm in New Hampshire but don't mind paying shipping.

Thanks for looking!
Sometimes you've gotta burn the barn down, in order to see the moon again.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Searching for a 20 Guage Barrell
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »
Call KTP for used. Wildlife and suds always has them new.  Why a smooth bore with rifled sights? You will be significantly decreasing your range and accuracy, may as well just use the bird barrel with the 2 beads in that case?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
i would def go rifled barrel. i have one thats rifled and a cantilever scope rail but its for a 20ga 11-87 LC

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
its un fired and i would sell it. i have no use for it what so ever

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
like AA said you may as well just use bird barrel if you want a smooth bore slug barrel.  They do make riffled chokes specifically for that but usually a IC choke works well. 

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
like AA said you may as well just use bird barrel if you want a smooth bore slug barrel.  They do make riffled chokes specifically for that but usually a IC choke works well.

if you use a rifled choke in a smooth bore don't expect sabot slugs to shoot well. my dad has the rifled choke in his smooth bore 12 and every sabot we have fired from it hits the tartget but it wont group and the slugs tumble through the air. took these pictures to show everyone. both are the same round, shot from 11-87's but ones from my rifled barrel and ones from my dads the year he tried them out of his with the rifled choke and smooth bore

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
you understand why that happens right....??

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
you understand why that happens right....??

Yes I do, I was just making sure he knew it.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2013, 05:02:29 AM »
Did you try different kinds ? Usually tumbling is caused by the bullet not spinning fast enough.  The heavier the hunk of lead the faster its gotta spin.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2013, 05:13:25 AM by hesseltine32 »

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
Did you try different kinds ? Usually tumbling is caused by the bullet not spinning fast enough.  The heavier the hunk of lead the faster its gotta spin.

He just switched back to the brenneke ko 's. They shoot awesome out of his gun. And I scored 3 16 dollar boxes of Barnes!

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

lol i loves myths.

who the heck told you that hahaha

bearing surface and weight have nothing to dp with the amount of rpm's a bullet turns. rate of twist and velocity controll that lol

BP

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
I was always told that's what causes a bullet to tumble and keyhole is its not spinning fast enough.    What does causes a bullet to tumble?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
For all the beginners out there I want to mention that you should use a rifled slug, like the Brenneke's, out of a smoothbore shotgun. That point was left out of the conversation.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline EarlySunrise

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I am aware of the rifled barrels, but I don't want to use sabot slugs. When I hunt shotgun I use a smoothbore with steel sights with rifled slugs. Have gotten quite a few that way and this gun sort of fell into my lap.

Not to sound cheap but why shoot a sabot for 2 or three bucks a round when the rifled slugs work just fine. Who knows though.
Sometimes you've gotta burn the barn down, in order to see the moon again.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Not to sound cheap but why shoot a sabot for 2 or three bucks a round when the rifled slugs work just fine. Who knows though.

Because the sabots will gain you 100 yards in kill range, and puts rifled slugs to shame in the accuracy dept. if you are hunting in a 50 yard or less shot area I guess it doesn't matter.

I'm still confused though? The gun must have a smooth bore on it already? Why not use it how it is then? I can't see the rifled sights being that much more accurate than 2 beads if that's the route you choose? Also why not just have a gunsmith out rifled sights on it?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal