Author Topic: Hand Gun Basic Check List  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Davem

• Forked
Hand Gun Basic Check List
« on: Jun 13, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
As I recently submitted my CCW in Tioga Cnty NY so I have about 8 months (what a crock) to select and purchase a hand gun or two.  I'm not too familiar with hand gun particulars and wanted to ask this group for any input on some of the things I would want to look for, consider, stay away from, etc.. as I go about this process.  My intent for use is to keep for home defense so is something I would want my wife or kids (16, 23) could handle and use safely.  I'd also plan to carry with me on hunts just to have.  I'm not looking to buy high end but avg to above avg equipment, iron sights.  Just a good starter gun essentially.

So, any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks
Dave

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hand Gun Basic Check List
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
I love my sig sauer P226 9mm. Its a good sized gun though not ment for concealed carry. Very pratical and loaded with neat features and its very safe.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
That's great Dave..  I handed mine in over 7 months ago and they just started contacting my references..  :(  I have a few pistols I will get from my Dad but the one I want to get for myself would be the Remington 1911..
  http://www.realguns.com/articles/262.htm 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
A revolver would be the best choice for what you describe. A .357 magnum make sense because you can shoot .38 special ammo with it; much easier to learn with a lighter load, especially for the wife and kids. Bear in mind that the only person that can legally handle/shoot a handgun must have a permit with that gun on it(except maybe at a range). I like Rugers: http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
A revolver would be the best choice for what you describe. A .357 magnum make sense because you can shoot .38 special ammo with it; much easier to learn with a lighter load, especially for the wife and kids. Bear in mind that the only person that can legally handle/shoot a handgun must have a permit with that gun on it(except maybe at a range). I like Rugers: http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html

X2 with JJ I prefer S & W though.

8) 8) 8)
Peddler

Offline Davem

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help. 

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
Wow, that's a long wait for a CCP and then have the clock tick down to buy a gun.  I am a Maine resident living in Virginia (active duty military) I got a CCP in about 2-3 months, I guess that's a perk for being active duty.  I feel for yah in NY.  I would recommend a revolver, point and shoot...but it comes down to finding a gun that you are comfortable with...that is key.
A. White

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
I'm from PA and had my permit in 30 minutes. In Luzerne county, they are doing up to about 80 per day.

As far as a handgun, the Kimber 1911 in .45 is great, but heavy to carry all day and expensive. I also have a Ruger SR9c in 9mm and it's a great gun for 400 bucks. 9mm ammo is getting very hard to find these days, even reloading components for it are scarce. .357 was mentioned and sounds good. I have two 38's and they are both great to shot and carry. I also like my little 380 acp bodygaurd. Fits anywhere you want to carry it.
Any gun shooting a magnum cartridge is going to let you know when the trigger breaks and the primer goes pop---usually in the shoulder, occasionally in the cheek.

Offline emw1986

• Nubbie
  • Don't just be a man, be the bigger man.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
I would look for something smaller and easily concealable, easy to use, and it should have connections for a light or laser sight. If your gonna have it out at home for protection then I would get something you could keep it in like a bedside holster or nightstand safe. The gun I use for this is the Springfield XDs 9mm. I absolutely love it. It's small and light but powerful and accurate plus it has so many safety features on it that it would be almost impossible for a child to fire it. It hast the grip safety and the lever trigger feature. Great gun overall.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal