Author Topic: Thompson Center Contender  (Read 2808 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Thompson Center Contender
« on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »
Does anyone have one of these pistols? I am thinking of buying one for deer hunting and was wondering what people thought of them. Thanks
Roy
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Poppy

• Nubbie
Re: Thompson Center Contender
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »
I just picked up a Contender carbine in the .17HMR.  Beautiful gun, excellent quality.  Have had an Encore pistol for several years, 7.62x39 caliber, 15" barrel, 4X scope.  Shot a total of four deer with it.  It is a blast.  You can't go wrong with a TC.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »
Thanks poppy.  ;D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:16:45 AM »
I'm thinking of the same thing actually.  I'll be taking my Pistol permit course when I turn 21...I'm excersizing the 2nd Amendment!  ;) Actually, I really want to do it because I'm applying for internships in Alaska, doing studies on salmon while they run the rivers, and I want to be able to carry a side arm in addition to the .338 Mag.  (at least) that I'd be required to carry while up there.  Can't be too safe, right?  Anyway, at some point I think it would be cool to buy a Contender to hunt with around here, so I'd like to hear what other users have to say.  :)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:43:53 AM »
Get that permit zach. Best feeling in the world. I've been watching a lot of hunting shows where they are using contenders and shooting elk and mule deer at 200 yards.

Offline tughillmcd

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2007, 05:47:37 AM »
Does anyone have one of these pistols? I am thinking of buying one for deer hunting and was wondering what people thought of them. Thanks
Roy
I have had my contender since the early 80's. Originally I had the 223 barrel and borrowed a friends 357 and 44 barrels a couple times back then for deer hunting but never had any luck. I finally bought a 45/70 barrel in the 96 and I got a 10 point that year. Sure is fun to hunt with em but it is difficult to hold steady. I have carried it a few other times but only got 1 more shot, hit a crotch horn and tracked it to where someone else had finished it off. As time permits and I get shooting it more I may carry it again to see how I can do.

One thing I do recommend is if you buy one be sure to have your permit listed a multiple caliper or you need  an amendment for each caliper you use (in NY that is). That can make for a lot of paperwork when you add new barrels.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2007, 07:57:01 AM »
Thank you very much tughill,  I never thought about the multiple caliber thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal