Author Topic: Sabot Slugs  (Read 3134 times)

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
Sabot Slugs
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
I shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti mag 12 ga with a ported 24" rifled slug barrel.  The other day I missed a deer at 40+- yards THREE times.  I was dicusted to say the least.  The slugs I was shooting were 3" Remington Acu Tip Sabots and 2 3/4" Winchester sabots.  I left the woods and went and bought some Hornady 2 3/4" SST'S, I also put my Bushnell 1.5 x 4.5 Sportview scope on the gun using a B Square mount.  I shot some of the Acu Tips and Winchesters without the scope at 50 yards (bench rest) and they all hit high right (outside a 6" circle).  After putting the scope on and sighting it in I brought the group was within a 6" circle (using the Hornady SST'S) but they are still hitting high right and or almost dead center.  There doesn't seem to be consistency with these slugs or any I shoot.  Granted my group is a lot tight.  I also shot my last round of 3" Rem Acu Tips and it hit on the bottom edge of the target (granted the scope was sighted in for the Hornady ammo)  It seems this gun likes certain slug loads better than others....what has been your experience with this make and model or what has been your general findings with other makes and models??
A. White

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Sabot Slugs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
I'll bet the gun is fine.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
don't keep jumping around with slug stay with the same one and sight your gun in that way not all slugs gonna shoot the same

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
I found that I needed to clean my barrel real good and shoot only one type in my gun.  i got it perfect.  last year was perfect example of a sabot shot.  I use lightfields and they are about as accurate as they can get.....well I am a perfect shot so maybe it is mostly me (lol) but I agree stick with the one brand and site it for accuracy....but clean the gun barrel first.....(you have two different shots through it now)..

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »
Lightfields are a nasty round! They do shoot well and hit like a freight train!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
I use the Remington Copper Solids out of my 870 with a Simmons scope and and its incredibly accurate....   But they are very expensive...  But then again I have only used six slugs to kill my last six deer..     ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The bore is squeaky clean before I shot it this year.  I have used these Remington ACU tips and copper solids before and have nice groups all "3.  Yes I agree sticking with one slug brand is the way to go.  I think I will stick with the hornadys as they are cheap at 12.49 a box and just practice more.  It has been about 6 years since I last used this gun... Lost my touch I guess.
A. White

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
I use the Remington Copper Solids out of my 870 with a Simmons scope and and its incredibly accurate....   But they are very expensive...  But then again I have only used six slugs to kill my last six deer..     ;D

bragger  8)   

you definitely want to sight your gun in and then hunt with the same slugs

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
Before I put the scope on, the gun shot these same slugs just fine, nice groups.  Now that it is sighted in with the Hornadys, that is what it will shoot from now on.
A. White

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal