Author Topic: Good Buck today  (Read 8597 times)

upstatehunter

Good Buck today
« on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »
I went out to sit all day. I found some good sign along a hemlock and cedar thicket and thought I better just be there all day as the deer would move here anytime. After the blizzard let up this morning it was only the sounds of snow falling off the trees.
Untill about 2pm a flock of turkeys came in about twenty yards out. Had one hen get about ten feet and pick me out finally and start the warning cluck. Off they went. I had one cup of coffee left so decided to get it before the magic hour. As I took a sip I spotted a deer about 75 yards out closing fast with head down and just trotting. BUCK, I set my coffee down and get the gun up, looking for where he would go for a shot. As he got to about 50 yards he turned left and went down the hill behind a small hump i was on the edge of. GREAT! I lost him. I calmed my self down and grabbed the doe bleat and gave four loud blatts.
I heard him stop, but he was over the hump from me. I figured if I couldn't see him then he couldn't see me. So I ran right at him and got behind a hemlock with snow on it to the ground. Peeking around it I pick out his head and see the antlers turning. He was looking for this doe that bleated at him then ran to him. He was in some thick stuff and I had to wait to shoot. I gave a soft bleat by mouth and he took a few steps forward but was now fixed on the hill I was on. He stopped about ten feet from my clear shooting lane. Gave another bleat followed by a grunt. WoW! he stomped forward and gave a low almost growl. Right into my lane and settle and fire. He went about 40 yards and started staggering. Down!! He did take another round to finish him. But he is the biggest buck I have ever taken. Told the wife the guys on tv don't have anything on the dancing and fist pumpin that I did there in the woods by myself.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008, 05:03:25 AM by upstatehunter »

Offline matty23

• Forked
Re: Good Buck today
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
ill let you tell the boys at work this story especailly the DANCING part hahhhhahhhah oh man............... :)
iam jealous!! lol ;D
matty

upstatehunter

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »
I had moves Travolta never seen before. HE HE ;D

Offline jigger

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
Congrats on a great buck and also the story you sure deserved to get him.

upstatehunter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:58:40 PM »
Thanks jigger, I knew he was around. I just hoped I got him before the guy who was trespassing in there.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
Great deer and worth a dance....no matter how ridiculous white guy's look while  dancing. I hope you didn't do that bite the lip while busting your best move thing. I hear the ladies don't like that ;D ;D ;D  Good job and congratulations
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:00:43 PM »
Awesome Buck...You earned it!!!
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

upstatehunter

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:04:37 PM »
Don't think I bit the lip, not sure but the snow was flying around him for ten minutes.
Thanks caroga kid, I hunt hard every year. Today I just had a pretty good day.

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »
Nice Buck and a great story.  Congrats to you.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »
Love the story Upstate, I know the dance moves you did, I've done them myself. Congrats again on a great buck & good choice on the shoulder mount. The Mrs will love it !!!!!

Online CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
Great buck and story Upstate, you earned it.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hoythunter

• 6 Pointer
  • bad day in woods is better than agood day at work
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
nice buck and congats

upstatehunter

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
Thanks guys, coming from a group of your peers it really means allot. I'm hoping that now the ice is broken I can take some more mature animals. All ready have one picked out for next year, saw him cross the road tonight on the way home, BIG ten and may have stickers on the bases. I can't wait allready.

Offline marcus

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:23:34 PM »
very nice buck congrats ;D    what did he weigh  looks like a big bodied mature deer to me very impressive.

upstatehunter

« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »
Thanks Marcus. He only weighed 163, He didn't have an ounce of fat left on him. The neck was just under 30" and his hooves. Wow

That's my brothers hand. The taxidermist aged him at 6 1/2 yrs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal