Author Topic: How do you divide your season?  (Read 5509 times)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
How do you divide your season?
« on: Aug 21, 2004, 03:13:20 PM »
I try to get out 3 or 4 days a week. This year I am also taking what amounts to 2 and 1/2 weeks vacation. This is how I will divide my time:

9/1  to 9/25   Geese
9/26 to 9/28   squirrel
9/29 to 9/30   Northern zone deer with bow
10/1                squirrel
10/2 to 10/14  duck
10/15 to 11/21 Southern Zone deer with bow
11/22 to 12/14 Southern zone deer with shotgun
12/15 to 12/21 Southern zone deer with muzzleloader
1/2 to 1/7     duck/geese

How about the rest of you?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
Re: How do you divide your season?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2004, 09:04:28 AM »
10 minutes of yelling at the 11 year old  >:(
10 minutes of wrestling with the 6 year old  :o
20 minutes of kissing and hugging and talking to the 17 month old  :-*
1 hour of pretending to listen to wife nagging  :-X :-\ :'(
3.5 hours of Shanty, Fishfinder,  Hunt Forum,  and chatting with ourdoor buddies.  ;D ;D ;D

Per Day
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline bussman

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2004, 09:38:53 AM »
I hunt deer with the bow from Oct 15 till I get a really nice buck. If by the week before gun opens, I haven't gotten a really big buck I shift my focus on a doe.I also turkey hunt in the fall but with the number of turkeys that we have here that is all of maybe a few hours.

Once I shoot a deer with the bow I still enjoy holding my doe tag and continuing to spend time in my stand. I always say I am gonna bring a movie camera but I never do.  ::) Maybe this year will be different.  ;) Once gun opens I hunt as much as I can, again looking for that old boy! If all fails the doe permit and the muzzleloader puts meat in the freezer. My goal has been 2 deer in the freezer but this year I may need 3. Family is growing! I guess I should include I pray to the winter gods all this time for early ice! Usually I have a few days to drive around looking for ice and then I start the best season. ICEFISHING!

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2004, 01:46:23 PM »
September brings some squirrel hunting, but mostly begins the end of my bass fishing for the year. I fish as much as I can, and shoot some squirrels until October 1st. Then it's turkey season. I hunt the birds until the 15th, then I find myself in the treestand with my bow in hand. During October I still manage to take a few days off to do more fishing, but the time spent on the water is certainly limited. I actually continue to bass fish into mid-November, but like I said, the time fishing is minimal. Once gun season rolls around, my muzzleloader is ready to go. I may use a shotgun if I'm hunting a particularly dense area, because it's not always easy to find a deer in the scope at point blank range. After the regular gun season, I'm out hunting in the late season. After the deer season is over, I hunt predators until the ice is safe. Then it's back to fishing.  ;D I also spend some time during the winter hunting small game and predators.

-Zach
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2004, 01:58:32 PM by ChenDeerSlayer »

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2004, 09:42:41 PM »
I'm selfemployed (work out of my home) so I can hunt anytime I want......WRONG.   >:(  Deadlines, deadlines.
Get up - scan the back field, S..., shower,shave - scan the back field - go to work,
Grab cup of coffee - scan the back field. Lunch tme - scan back field while eating....and so on.
Weekends - maybe hunt 2 - 3 hours, honey do list, my own to do list, then back to the work week.
I have shot deer out of my window though, so this kind of hunting does work.  ;D

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2004, 04:00:33 PM »
My plan for this year is the same as usual except I have more vacation which means more time in the woods!!!  9-1 starts things off for me with early goose season.  This combined with fishing and scouting for archery season will take up most of the month of Sept. for me.  Come Oct. 2nd that all changes and it's strictly archery hunting for the next 6 weeks.  I might mix in a few hours of fall turkey hunting but that usually does not take long.  Then a week of small game and fishing and it's bear season.  3 days of bear hunting and it's time to refuel on turkey day for the upcoming rifle season.  Mon. after Thanksgiving starts 2 weeks of rifle hunting for deer.  After that it's small game and fishing again until Christmas.  The day after Christmas brings the late archery and flintlock season and that's where you'll find me toting one or the other depending on weather.  2 weeks of that and it's time to get serious about some ice fishing till the spring thaw.  This year I was able to make very effective use of my vacation time taking off the 3rd week of Oct., the first 2 weeks of Nov., and the 1st week of Dec. still having a day or two to spare.  ;D  Bring on the fall, I'm READY!!  :o ;D

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2004, 08:10:57 AM »
     September is spent scouting  and hanging treestands for the October bow opener.    October- 2 long weekends bowhunting up north and durning the week and remaining weekends bowhunting around home.  November 1 to 12 bowhunting around home then back north the 13th for a few days of bowhunting before the 15th gun opener then 4 days of gun.  November 19 to 28 more bowhunting around home.  November 29 till December 4 shotgun hunting around home.  December 5 to 26 back to bow around home.  December 27 to 30 muzzleloader. December 31 till January 31 back to bow season.  Up north I usually get 3-4 permits (2 doe/2buck) and at home I can shoot 1 buck and 4 does.  If I get a nice buck at either place I adjust how much time I'll hunt there and focus on where I have the most tags left.  February 1 through the end of March it is icefishing on lake Erie for walleye and perch,  pond fishing for bass,  bluegill, and crappie.  Depending on  the weather the walleye start on the river mid-March through the end of April.  I will spend almost every evening nailing the walleye.  When the action ends in the river it is time for the morrels to start popping I'll scout/mushroom hunt till the start of June.  The summer months are spent getting caught up with all the things around the house my wife wants done.  The summer months are spent fishing with the kids.  By the way the kids do go on some adventures with me.  Now that I look at this when do I have time to work ????

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2004, 10:35:07 PM »
September through Mid October - Early bow season

Mid October for 3 days - hunt with the bow during early muzzleloader

Late October through the Friday before Thanksgiving - mid bow season

The Saturday after Thanksgiving through the next two weeks, hunt with the bow during firearms season

The two weeks after that, hunt with the bow during late muzzleloader season

and from then until January 31 - late bow season

:D
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2004, 11:21:41 AM »
The only hunting that I plan for specifically is the opening day of firearms deer season in NY.  I haven't missed an opening day in 20 years!  Other than that I usually just hunt when I have a chance and decide what to hunt a couple days before I go.  Of course I still have to have time for Steelhead fishing.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2004, 03:33:03 PM »
I hope my wife never sees this post see will know "it really is a plan"  ;D Just joking she supports me and hunts with me.

I have a season for almost everything.

January is for ice fishing and re loading.
Febuary is for ice fishing
March is start of steelhead time and perch fishing
April is still steelhead and turkey scouting
May is Turkey season and the Pike opener
June is Bass fishing and Pike fishing
July is still fishing and woodchucks
August is scouting for deer and geese and bow practice and hang my one stand I use
September is goose season and bow practice, some Northen zone bow hunting
October is southern zone bow hunting and some muzzeloader hunting in northern zone. Start of good Salmon runs and fishing in tribs
November is deer hunting
December is deer hunting

I take off at least the opener for Turkey, Bow Deer and Shotgun. I usually take off at least two weeks for shotgun even though I like bow more, just becuase of tradition. I may take off more time for bow this year if my work load is not to hectic.

I have never missed a opening day and never at least plan to.

Jon

Offline Bear

• Nubbie
  • Killed this buck with my bare hands
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2004, 08:26:29 PM »
january- ice fishing for lakers,  catfish, pike, and river fishing for the big rainbows
february- ice fishing for lakers, pike, catfish, and river fishing for the big rainbows
march- ice fishing for lakers, icefishing for panfish, and river fishing for browns and rainbows
april- bass fishing, walleye fishing, catfishing in the river
may- pike fishing, high mountain lakes fishing for trout, bass fishing, bluegill fishing, walleye fishing
june- pike fishing, trout in high mountain lakes, bass fishing, bluegill fishing
july- big smallmouth bass trip, bass fishing, rainbow and browns, 4-day high mountain walk-in lakes
august- bass fishing, bluegill fishing, rainbows and browns
september- walleye fishing, bass fishing, bluegill fishing, catfishing
october- walleye fishing, bass fishing, river trout, deer hunting 1 week
november- river trout, esp. big browns, elk hunting 1 week
december- river fishing for big rainbows, ice fishing for trout, lakers, pike, bass, catfish, panfish

2 weeks hunting each year is all.
Watch out for the Bear. I'm hunting YOU!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal