Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 9181 times)

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
Smokers
« on: Aug 02, 2013, 12:55:33 AM »
I'm in the market for a new smoker and was wondering if anyone uses a gas unit. I am going with the Smoke Hollow brand and was trying to compare between gas/electric. I am looking at the 44" dual burner LP smoker. Great reviews, but not sure how the gas units produce. My old electric model is just too old.
Any gun shooting a magnum cartridge is going to let you know when the trigger breaks and the primer goes pop---usually in the shoulder, occasionally in the cheek.

Offline FreezinGator

• Forked
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
I have a propane smoker and if I had to do it again I think I would go electric for a few reasons.  The first is that I can't get the temperature as low as I would like, esp in the summer.  I would look for an electric with a thermostat that goes low for cold smoking fish.  The second is that for smoking you have to smoke for a long time and even though I have a couple tanks, one is on the grill and you don't want to run out of propane in the middle of a smoke - and propane isn't cheap.  Just a few factors to consider-   
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »
I have a propane smoker as well. I agree that I too can't keep the temperature as low as I'd like in the summer. For me it works good enough, but an electric would probably be easier to control.

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2013, 01:59:25 AM »
Thanks for the input. I did find a few comments where they also agree on the temp regulation for the gas. Very hard to get below 275.
Wasted that day on looking at gas, now for another few hours for electric...lol.
Thanks again.
Any gun shooting a magnum cartridge is going to let you know when the trigger breaks and the primer goes pop---usually in the shoulder, occasionally in the cheek.

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
I purchased a used charcoal smoker and adapted it to run off the small wood stove I built for my shack.I can place the stove 6' away and smoke below 100 for cheese or 18" away and run temps of 225 use whole sticks of wood for good long burn with constant heat. Smoked some of my homemade venison sausage two weeks ago. Took a zip-lock bag full for cheese and crackers on a canoe trip and it lasted @ 10 min. Awesome stuff! Will post pics of this red-neck smoker the next time I have it together so you guy's can see it. I'm thinking Jerky next!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
That sounds great.

8)
Peddler

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
That sounds like what I should do for the cabin. I have an old bucket-a-day stove I can use for that.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »
I have a smoke hollow propane model and i don't have a problem with temp control. mess around with the vent and it will help.

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »
I have a smoke hollow propane model and i don't have a problem with temp control. mess around with the vent and it will help.
What model do you have. And of course, do you like it. I was thinking of the 44" Dual-Burner LP Gas Smoker, Model 44241G2.
If the gas would not due, I was looking at the 30" Electric Smoker, Model 30168E

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
Not sure of the model #. Single burner about 40 inches,3 racks. I can keep it at a steady 180 if needed with burner on low and the vent open.

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Smoking off some more Sausage!

patience, persistence, presentation

Offline gundogwanted

• Forked
  • Eyes on the prize
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
NICE.... :P :P :P

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2013, 11:54:51 AM »
Boy them sure look good    :P :P :P   & you didn't save me non  :)

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
I have a Cookshack smoker and love it! As a matter of fact we're doing a pork butt today... we use it all the time even in the winter. If you decide to buy one get their cover... it's worth it.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Elite-Model-SM025

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal