Author Topic: This whole youth hunt thing  (Read 14039 times)

Offline REALITYCHECK

• Nubbie
This whole youth hunt thing
« on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
Right out of the blocks I am going to say it. This push for the youth to get involved, makes me want to puke. Instead of the DNR saying "Get kids involved or the sport of hunting will disappear". They should be honest and say, " Please get your kids involved, so our main revenue stream will not diminish." Is taking a kid hunting all about getting the kids involved? Or is it just a ploy to keep your sport "alive". And do the 10 year old hunters actually know why we hunt? Or is it just cool because dad or mom does it?

Enough ranting. Lets talk general facts. Those of us who are currently hunting....say 30 and up...ish. Did not receive free extra bonus hunts to get us "hooked" on hunting. What ever happened to taking a kid small game hunting? Oh that is right. There is less money to be made in small game hunting.

My opinion. Let's get the DNR to stop going for quantity. And start focusing on QUALITY!!! The DNR is balancing there books on MI deer herd.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: This whole youth hunt thing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:28:58 AM »
 :-\    I took all my kids so I didn't have to worry about them riding skate boards through traffic, tripping over the crotch of their pants and doing all the rest of the evil things that occur "down town". Your right though, never had a "special hunt", wish I did. May have had a few more guy's my age involved back then.
Not sure on your motive here but there is no way I'll ever be convinced that taking a kid hunting and fishing is a Bad thing.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:13:05 AM »
Really? I cant believe someone actually posted this. Sounds like someone is worried about a kid shooting a deer they have their eye on. I am 30 years old and there was a youth day when I was a kid. As a matter of fact this year MD is giving the youth two days this season. You know what I say? Great let them have at it.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
Its obvious that REALITYCHECK has a problem with the Michigan DNR...   He has been a member since 2007 and only has 2 posts and both are putting down the DNR....

I say let the kids hunt....................................
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline daddyx2

• 6 Pointer
  • October 1st to November 26th "its prime time!!"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:22:04 AM »
The sport of hunting will disappear if we don't hand the tradition down through the blood lines. Every kid I know is excited for youth day because of the parent time as well as trying something new that the books in school just don't have chapters on. Hunting teaches kids life lessons as well as putting food on the table. Self resourcefulness respect and courtesy (if taught the way I was). This is the most absurd post I've ever seen. Not a good first post, kind of makes everything else you have to say tainted (with bs) next time its not a good idea to have your first post just to stir the pot.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:50:36 AM »
I don't recall any special "youth days" here in Maine when I was a kid, but My dad always took me out of school for the 1st day of duck hunting, 1 day of icefishing and 1 day of skiing - I always looked forwad to it back then, just as I'm sure youth hunters look forward to "their day" now.  Kudos to any state that supports outdoor youth activities.   Let's keep the tradition alive...

An additional thought -  On those days i missed school, my mom would send a note saying something to the effect of "Brian wasn't in school because he was hunting,fishing, skiing with his father", and there was never any questions from the school administrators.   I wonder how that would fly today....
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011, 07:00:56 AM by brace »
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »
are you serous man. your putting down youth hunts? whats a matter are all the younger guys making it harder for you to fill tags. i dont have kids but do have a couple little cusins im getting hunting and had you seen there faces for the youth hunt for pheasents you might thing otherwise. ill tell you what your not going to get much deffense here with posts like this might as well just save it.oh yea one more thing when i took my cusins in the woods we ewre alone, the next week when the season opens there were 50 plus guys in the woods shooting aimlessly. im sure glad they were about to get out in the peace and quite and enjoy it.

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2011, 07:19:46 AM »
Yep let them have it You sound like your jealous of kids hunting a day you cant.
I always hunted with my grandfather he taught me all about the outdoors.
From the time I could walk and talk we would hunt squirrel rabbit grouse turkey deer.
On those hunts he would show me where to find all the different berry's natural springs nut trees deer beds and trails.
Allot of my friends growing up did not have someone that taught them these things.
One of my friends with no father figure to speak of would always come and stay with me and my gpa we showed him these things and took him hunting. 
Now we are avid outdoorsmen. Without my grandfather who knows where we'd be.
I have a 2 yr old girl and you can bet your a$$ she will be learning what nature has to offer in just a few years and we will take full advantage of any youth programs offered. She has started fishing already 4 sunfish 3 bass 1 was 15" If she sees me touch a pole the next half hour is go fish daddy, go fish daddy cry go fish daddy.
Take a kid outdoors !

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »
IS THIS SERIOUS............ :o well I am not sure what to say to this bulloney.... :o...if my dad wouldnt have been so conservative (im being nice) and took me out when I was a youngster.. >:( >:( >:(.....I begged him for years........we might have had some wonderful times together.......my dad didnt think kids or girls should hunt.......mostly girls........He was a male chauvenist and has denied me of some real fruitful and joyful moments not letting his kid hunt with him..........now I hunt at 40 something without him......thanks to the guys who got me started last year..........and didnt think women couldnt hunt..........boo on the people who think kids shouldnt have their day.....boo to think kids should not be hunting at all.........I sure wish I didnt miss all these years because maybe I would have had all those wonderful moments you guys talk about....NOW I AM AND LUVIN IT........

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2011, 07:30:37 AM »
Next weekend here in Maine is Youth Day...a weekend before the Firearm Season opens.  I plan on taking a student from school.  It is going to be so nice to know that NOT every yahoo will be out there tearing up the woods.  Also they allow for the youth to take either sex without an Any Deer Tag.  So I have a great spot that Does have been moving thru during the daylight times.  If he doesn't tag out that day, I am transferring my Any Deer Permit to him for the season.  This is a Great way to get youths involved in out Wonderful Sport!!!  I personally would rather see the joy on a youths face of shooting their first deer, than to shoot one myself!!!

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
I'm not against youth only hunting days, but I don't think it brings any more youths into the outdoors. Most of the ones that will get to hunt these days already have someone taking them hunting and fishing. If a state really wants to introduce more kids to the outdoors they need to educate the nonhunting public of the facts and myths about hunting and fishing. Then they would need to set up a volunteer program to pair youths that want to learn the out doors but who's parents/guardians have no experience with an experienced outdoors person. Most states won't do such a thing because it's to expensive and time consuming, and therefore not instantly profitable. It amazes me how many non hunters I have had to educate about the facts of hunting, and I do it every chance I get. Sometimes we just agree to disagree in the end but they always walk away more knowledgeable than they started. That said I will likely be bringing my friends daughter deer hunting this year. She doesn't want to shoot one yet, but wants to go out and experience them up close. She also loves eating them  ;D. She is hoping to get her hunting license in the next year though, she's been out with her father coyote hunting several time in the past year or two.

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »
i killed my first ever deer during a youth hunt. it was an awesome experience and i have been hooked ever since. i always wanted to deer hunt but never had anyone/anywhere to go so a friend of mines dad took me out when i was about 12.. i dont have anything against youth hunts, i think they are great. gives kids a little advantage having the woods all to themselves without having to worry about other yahoos

i have already started counting down the days till i can take my daughter out on her first hunt even though she is only a week old right now! i personally have shared many great memories with the guys that taught me everything i know and to think i could have possibly missed out on it all if i hadnt had the oppertunity to get out there when i did. cant wait to share all of my knowledge with my daughter and future children.

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
i killed my first ever deer during a youth hunt. it was an awesome experience and i have been hooked ever since. i always wanted to deer hunt but never had anyone/anywhere to go so a friend of mines dad took me out when i was about 12.. i dont have anything against youth hunts, i think they are great. gives kids a little advantage having the woods all to themselves without having to worry about other yahoos

i have already started counting down the days till i can take my daughter out on her first hunt even though she is only a week old right now! i personally have shared many great memories with the guys that taught me everything i know and to think i could have possibly missed out on it all if i hadnt had the oppertunity to get out there when i did. cant wait to share all of my knowledge with my daughter and future children.

thats kind of a jumbled mess of a post i hard a hard focusing on what to type since this whole topic just erks the heck out of me!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »
I undrestood the point you were trying to make....... ;D ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CParsons

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:32:08 AM »
I undrestood the point you were trying to make....... ;D ;D ;D

i knew somebody would! lol