Hunting by Game/Technique > Predator Calling

Coyote Hunting

(1/4) > >>

stka:
I figured I'd start a new thread to share some coyote hunting experience. I'm no expert by a long shot, so hopefully we can some more experienced predator hunters to offer some help here.

stka:
My uncle bought the parts that this guy calls for to make the el-cheapo electronic call, and gave them to me to assemble. I was a bit sceptical, but I'll tell you the thing works great. He also offers free sounds from his web page that you can put on the MP3 player. We got our MP3 players from Ebay, i think my uncle paid under $5 each for them. I have no affiliation with him, but the site is a good resource. When I shot my coyote last year, we used one of his sequence calls, 16 minute I think. On another trip we didn't score on, we put the call on one of the sequences and in the beginning there's a howling pack (welcome). Well we were sitting on the fence line in the middle of a small field and the woods all around us lit up with howls and barks. It was a bit unnerving as they were all within 100 yards of us. I've been using my 30-06 which is legal for coyotes in shotgun deer areas, except during any open deer season. Having my 4.5-14x42mm bouris scope allowed me to see well in the moon light and not need a light. We were only hunting during full moon times with little to no overcast so we could see relatively well.

http://varmintal.com

Home made call page.

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Calling

SilentStalker:
Thanks Stka. I'll look into that.

stka:
If you want to keep the pelt, you might want to either use a smaller caliber rifle if you have one, or consider FMJs. If I don't find FMJ's that shoot the same as my SPBTs I won't shoot them unless I can get a broadside chest shot. Fortunately I wasn't interested in the pelt off this one, but this is what the '06 did with a 165gr SPBT hot hand load. The coyote was sitting facing me and I hit it in the chest. Sorry for the graphic image, but it's just to show what a wasted pelt it was. It was actually worse than it looks in the picture.

SilentStalker:
I wont be keeping the pelts if I see one, but you gotta love the 30-06!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version