Author Topic: Northwoods Buck Down!  (Read 4702 times)

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: Northwoods Buck Down!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
Congrats on a great buck.

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
Yeah great buck Matt congrats! One to mount no doubt.

Offline teampar

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
Yeah great buck Matt congrats! One to mount no doubt.

Thanks Jay. I dropped him at the taxidermist today, he is a trophy hunter and he said and I quote “ that’s a decent deer for most people but he is only a 3 1/2 year old and I will not shoot anything less then 4 1/2 so I would have passed” lol

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »
Nice buck teampar and great to see the comoradory! I hope that guys taxidermy skill are better than his people skills!

Offline gamefisher

• Forked
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
Thanks Jay. I dropped him at the taxidermist today, he is a trophy hunter and he said and I quote “ that’s a decent deer for most people but he is only a 3 1/2 year old and I will not shoot anything less then 4 1/2 so I would have passed” lol

Ya, you bambi killer! ;D

Offline Alex Delarge

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
If you brought it to Steve he's never told me anything like that, just the opposite actually. But if you brought it there you won't see that mount for 2 years.
He may be right with it being 3.5, he may be wrong also. If he can back it up with a trophy every year then kudos to him. I am happy with any whitetail I am legally able to shoot and understand others have varying opinions. I'll say this, I get out frequently, probably not the best hunter or the best shot in the county, it is a rare occasion to get an opportunity on a buck like you tagged up here. It is better than any buck I have shot. Congrats once again.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
 Nice work fellas. Congrats

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
Of course he would have! Spoken like a man who would've lost my business right on the spot!
In some professions you need to keep your opinions to yourself regardless of your personal way about things.
A trophy in his mind might just be different for someone else's mind!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2020, 08:56:57 AM »
I have done a lot of shoulder mounts and European skulls  that went form does  spikes and all the way up.  All are trophies and i praise a spike to shooter the same way i would a 10 pt..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »

Great buck either way. Congrats.

Did you tell him it weighed 195?

I know you can’t age them by weight but that would be a huge 3 year old in my experience.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2020, 07:59:23 AM by reeleyz »

Offline teampar

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2020, 04:35:09 PM »
Great buck either way. Congrats.

Did you tell him it weighed 195?

I know you can’t age them by weight but that would be a huge 3 year old in my experience.

Yes dressed weight was 195. I’m pretty sure the taxidermist wasn’t being critical of my buck he just mentioned that he belonged to a nation wide club that only harvests mature bucks that are at least 4.5 years old. In looking at the 25 + mounts he had lined up to do from this season I did say “good thing everyone doesn’t belong to that club” as there was only one with a better rack then mine. 😂

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Yes dressed weight was 195. I’m pretty sure the taxidermist wasn’t being critical of my buck he just mentioned that he belonged to a nation wide club that only harvests mature bucks that are at least 4.5 years old. In looking at the 25 + mounts he had lined up to do from this season I did say “good thing everyone doesn’t belong to that club” as there was only one with a better rack then mine. 😂

Haha, that made me spit out my beer!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
He Is A good one sure do want to see him when you get him back congradulations again Matt

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
The trophy hunter/taxidermist needs to separate his personal opinions from comments to customers as that is a very bad business practice in my opinion.  You must have a lot of trust and respect for his abilities to turn over a quality buck like that to wait for the finished product, he had absolutely no reason to make that comment and was uncalled for.  If the dressed weight was 195 lbs. and a tooth was pulled for ageing at time of registration than you will know for sure as it is posted the following year under harvest information on the MDIFW website.  In the meantime, congratulations on a quality buck that I would guess is 4 1/2 years old.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2020, 01:02:50 PM by Aziscohosbuck »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal