Author Topic: Blood Runner Broadheads...another look.  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
Blood Runner Broadheads...another look.
« on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
So I did a little feildtesting today with those blood runner broadheads I "had" been using. Most know I lost a deer this weekend and was stund when my arrow did not pass through at 10 yards. Now the shot was a little back but I am pretty confident about the shot. I decided to take on the blood runners with a fixed blade broadhead that I have, the Hornet. Both are same weight(100 grains), on the same arrow make(Easton Raiders 55-70), shot with the same bow (Mission: Eliminator), and shot at the same distance (20 yards).

Quite a difference in penetration with the target. Shot after shot showed the same results. That could be the difference of a kill or hard track! So for my set up at least I think I am going to go back to tried and true fixed blades.

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
Re: Blood Runner Broadheads...another look.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »
I always thought that the bloodrunner was like a fixed anyway as far as the size goes. Seems to me that the point of having a mechanical was lost on that design. Cheeks out!!! 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
If you can find a fixed blade broadhead that shoots well with your bow I think you are better off.  I tried mechanicals when they first came out and had all kinds of penetration problems and wounded deer. I have been using Muzzy 100 gr 4 blades since 1994 and killed a lot of deer.  Most of the time they blow right thru.  If they hit bone they break the bone. 

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:59:58 PM »
I always thought that the bloodrunner was like a fixed anyway as far as the size goes. Seems to me that the point of having a mechanical was lost on that design. Cheeks out!!! 8)

exactly, I am a g5 striker man for life. The only reason most people shoot mechanicals is bc they have a flaw in there shooting technique or there bow is not tuned properly. I understand the new ones these days have devastating cutting diameter, but besides that im not sold. To much energy is wasted on deployment for an adequete pass through and through a shoulder most of the time forget it! Shot the rage one season went 3 for 3 but the head after scared me so bad that I wouldnt dare shoot it on a HAMMER buck.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
From what I see the blood runners aren't as aerodynamic as the Hornet. Thus causing the arrow to be slower and not penetrate as far. I consider both to be fixed a blade your still getting a 1 inch cut with the blood runner completely closed. I cant imagine the cut on the Hornet being much bigger.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
To be honest Deposit, the jury is still out whether they are legal in NY. The angle they make between the outside point and the shaft is less than 90 degrees.
Closed they are fine, angle is greater than 90 degrees.
Plus they don't reset but folding forward, the blades have to be pushed back in. I know of two guys in the area that were given a hard time about them.
Not sure of the end result so can't say for 100% they are or aren't. In my eyes they aren't, but did think the theory behind them was good.
I guess the energy to push open the blades eats up the energy of the arrow.

halfrack33

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
Blood runner's don't really seem like mechanicals to me either. Just looks like a fixed withouth blades, then the blades pop out doing nothing but wasting energy like others said. Well, lesson learned either way I guess.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »
Upstate. the blades do slide back into possisition. I just have a small piece of cardboard holding them open. I got stopped by ENCON last year and they looked at them and did not say anything. Even if the blades don't slide open they still cut. What I noticed is the amount of material in the middle of the broadhead that has to pass through the animal. Not like the hornet that is cylindical.

Your right Half, lesson learned They look narly but I now believe thay can't get the job done at least in my situation.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
OK Deposit, I guess I didn't understand fully how they work. They spring back??? That doesn't make sense, as once through the hide they would be trying to close.
With the blade grabbing tissue as it does try to close. That plus the size of the ferrule and theres the penetration problem.
Glad they didn't hassle you, they probably looked like regular fixed blades to them. We have a new officer up here that is also instructing bowhunter ed.
He's the one that ticketed the guys. No doubt he had seen them and didn't feel they were legal.
NY's barbed head stems from the deer being able pull the arrow from a non lethal hit. If these heads do indeed spring back closed that's how they are deemed legal.
But obviously from your test not all that effective.
My hats off to you for trying that, most guys wouldn't of even thought about it just went back out. Good luck with the Hornets!! Knock one down!!
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010, 10:04:55 AM by upstatehunter »

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:51:04 AM »
My thoughts on these heads are the body(red) is too large and will hurt penetration; also it is aluminum, I prefer a steel ferrule. The Nitron, also from NAP, has performed flawlessly for me so far, and has been right on with fieldpoints. No moving parts; no broken blades, even through bone.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »
I agree with you upstate. Once I got to do some serious thinking about the enclosure of the mechanism, it is to large compaired to the other heads. I just fell for the hyp and the name, they got to me thats for sure...but not again. KISS.....Keep It Simple Stupid. Like my buddy said "Cave men and indians used fixed blades made out of stone for thousands of years, it if ain't broke don't fix it!"

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
You got that right Deposit. Tyler used the head that JJ put up. They worked very well. The coyotes got it before we found it, but it was a pass through with a 45 lb bow.
I switched to the Crimson Talons because of how they flew, and what they do. You can't shoot a target more than 100 times. We have the same one your do and it destroyed it this fall. Tyler shot the big doe two years ago with it. He was shooting an older Hoyt at 60 lbs and it blew a hole in it I've never seen before.
Entered right in front of the right shoulder and exited out behind the left. At 30 yards. Deer went 40 yards.

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
Well if I start bow hunting (I gun hunt) I will get some Muzzy's in fixed blade!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal