Author Topic: My First Tom  (Read 1617 times)

Offline benny8

• Forked
My First Tom
« on: May 13, 2020, 03:01:01 AM »
I got into turkey hunting later in life. Two years ago was the first time I ever got out. My buddy who is an accomplished turkey hunter took me out and called me in a jake. It was quite the adrenaline rush. Only got to hunt once last year due to other projects going on. I wasn't going to hunt this year due to many other projects, but due to the stay at home orders and social distance for the last couple months, my brother asked if I wanted to go out this weekend. We hadn't spent much time together the past few months due to the Covid baloney. So Saturday morning we met up at the planned hunting area. We made our way thru the woods in the dark to our ambush spot. I set out the decoy and we got situated with our backs up against an old rotted maple that had fallen quite a number of years ago. That old tree was about 5' through. Just as light was approaching an owl hooted and we heard gobbling below us and gobbling in the distance behind us. Once it was light enough to see the decoy well, my brother started calling on a box call he had recently purchased. We are both pretty green to the turkey hunting scene and I commented how that sounded like a sick hen squawking. He joked it was probably operator error. About 6 am and the woods were pretty quiet. We were shooting the breeze catching up on two months worth of stuff when he says "Oh s**t, turkeys right there!" I couldn't see them as they were up the hill to my right. He says there's a deer up there too! I saw the brown go bounding off but never saw the turkeys. We joked about that and continued jawing. About 630 I asked him if he had a locator call or anything like that and he said no. I had heard my buddy use his mouth to make an owl hooting sound so I tried it. First attempt got a good laugh from my bro. Second attempt got a gobble up the hill to my right, but a ways off. Then my bro hit the box call. The turkey responded. Then it was on like Donkey Kong! My brother would give it a few minutes and then call, the bird would gobble back. They did this a couple times. When the gobbles were definitely getting closer, my bro stopped calling. With my heart pumping in my ears, I could hear this noise. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I remember my buddy saying he could hear the birds spitting. Sure enough, that's what it was. Then finally my brother says there he is. A second or two later I see this blue head appear and he is in full strut. Its a full fan and I know I may have a shot at my first Tom. Him coming down the hill in full strut with the sunlight shining on his feathers and the iridescent glowing off him is a memory I will never forget. He slowly made his way to his fake mistress and when he got behind a tree, I slipped the safety off and got settled in for the shot. When he cleared the tree and turned towards me, I fired and rolled him over. My bro hollered nice shot! You got your first Tom and I called in my first turkey! We celebrated a bit and took some pictures. He weighed 18 lbs and had a 10" long beard with 1" spurs. I think with all going on in the world, this made it even more of a sweeter memory.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: My First Tom
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:12:42 AM »
Great recap and pic! Congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt, I’m finishing my coffee and going to go sit behind the house for a bit before work now. 32 degrees, my warm bed sounds better but, this is what we do.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »
Great story. I felt like I was there with ya.  And congrats on the first Tom!
I'm sure you'll be back out there for more.

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 08:33:36 AM »
great story and great hunt!! still chasing my bird but in my opinion the chase is alot more fun than the actual shot. congrats

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:59:37 PM »
Great job Benny...   Congratulations...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 03:09:01 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:34:20 AM »
Great job!!!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
Nice work, congratulations!

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 06:13:24 AM »
Congrats!

Offline longbeardking

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01:11:13 PM »
Sounds just like my son's first bird. There is no thrill greater. Now I am still hunting at 75 years old, hunting alone, and still enjoying thinking back on all the hunts. I don't have what it takes anymore, but sooner or later I'll get another ton OR jake. It does not matter to me. Congratulations. Nice story to read. I felt like I was theere.

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
Congrats, and thanks for taking us along on the hunt!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal