Author Topic: New York "CWD"  (Read 4591 times)

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
Re: New York "CWD"
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2005, 06:51:01 AM »
doesn,t this cry for getting rid of these deer farms? there is just too much to risk.

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2005, 12:11:41 PM »
This just says get rid of irresponsible people.  I don't know if I like the idea of deer farms or not, but there will be people with a lack of common sense everywhere.

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2005, 05:37:19 PM »
Pike guy, could you give us an idea of what we can expect to see if our herd gets to the level of infection that yours has? I am a member of Quality Deer Management Association, and would like to hear from a hands on informant. We had a seminar on the topic and it is so missunderstood that it is almost alot of repeating information. I think / hope that our situation will be eradicated before it become full blown. Thanks for you time and info.

Rob

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2005, 09:18:37 AM »
What the DNR did was set up an " eradication zone" wherein EVERY deer was shot that could be shot. They gave out free tags, hired sharpshooters and killed everything. It sucked. They had check stations all over the state where you could take a freshly killed deer and they would take the head and examine it to help determine the scope of infection throughout the state. Deer baitng AND feeding was outlawed throughout the state to limit exposure of infected deer to uninfected herds. Last year we had an "Earn a buck" season where everyone was required to shoot a doe to earn a buck tag. I haven't heard much about it lately and I guess I would assume that the problem is not nearly as severe as it once was. But then again, I live quite a ways away from the hotspots.
Adam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal