Author Topic: New York "CWD"  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Hitem hard

• Nubbie
New York "CWD"
« on: Apr 05, 2005, 04:12:55 PM »
 I just read an article in the Bangor Daily News about CWD found in NY. Does any body have any more info or a link to where we can keep track of what is happening. I think it's the first time foud in the northeast. Scarey thought. I been doing some reading on it, but had the attitude well it's not in my back yard. can't say that any more.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
Re: New York "CWD"
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2005, 04:35:14 PM »
It has been in the local papers. A 6yr old doe was tested positive in a captive herd. This was in Oneida county. A few days later they found a 2nd deer with it in another captive herd. The second herd had taken some in from the first herd. The state is going to do heavy testing of the local wild population.

I am surprised that there has been no mention of anything on the DEC website. I've seen a link, I'll add it when I find it.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2005, 10:36:31 AM »
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Robb

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:42:42 PM »
Here is a link from Iceshanty.com about them serving some at a game dinner!!

Robb
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=24313.0
2010 ADK 14 PT

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:50:35 PM »
Infected deer served at Verona sportsmen's event; Health Department: Disease won't transmit to humans Tue, Apr 5, 2005
LINDA MURPHY Observer-Dispatch VERONA -- One of the white-tailed deer recently diagnosed with chronic wasting disease (CWD) was served at the Verona Fire Department's Annual Sportsmen's Feast Sunday, March 13, said an official with the Oneida County Health Department.

Officials did not discover that the animal was infected until about two weeks after the venison was served to some 350 people who attended the dinner. The venison was obtained from six donors and was served as steak, chili, stew, sausage and meat patties.

When the deer was donated for the sportsman's feast, "it showed no sign of sickness. Since there's a 16-month incubation period, the deer appeared perfectly healthy," said Ken Fanelli, spokesman for the Oneida County Health Department.

After the deer was slaughtered, its head was sent to the state Department of Environmental Conservation for mandatory testing and the disease was detected, he said.

People who consumed the venison need not worry about contracting the disease, Fanelli said.

"There's no indication whatsoever that the disease has been linked to human illness of any kind," Fanelli said.

Nonetheless, the health department wants anyone who attended the event on March 13 and may have eaten the venison to contact them at 798-5064. Or call the New York State Health Department's toll-free information line at (800) 808-1987.

"We want them to call to discuss the issue and to reassure them," he said. "They needn't be concerned about being infected. The consensus among the health department and Ag and Markets is optimistic. We decided to be prudent and talk to anyone who may have eaten the venison," Fanelli said.

Verona Fire Department Fire Chief Joe Simpson declined to comment Monday.

State and local health departments and the national Centers for Disease Control agree that there is no evidence that chronic wasting disease is naturally transmitted to humans.

The CDC, however, said there is not yet strong evidence that transmission of the neurological wasting disease could not occur between animal and human.

The natural species barrier that usually blocks disease transmission between animals and people is not always intact with animal prion diseases, said CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson.

"It's (CWD) a prion disease in the same family as 'mad cow'," Pearson said. "But the risk of transmission to humans is low."

CWD is a degenerative neurological illness that is deadly to some deer and elk species. It belongs to the family of diseases known as the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) and is also called a prion disease. It is in the same classification as bovine spongiform encephalopathy or "mad cow" disease.

A second positive case of CWD was recently discovered in another private herd in Oneida County, said Jessica Chittenden, spokeswoman for the state Department of Agriculture and Markets.

The deer from both herds will be destroyed and tested for the disease, she said.

Six other herds that may have come into contact with the diseased herds are in quarantine, Chittenden said.

"They're fenced in and are not mingling with the wild deer population," Chittenden said.

New York agricultural officials said they will not disclose the name of the herd owners or their location, other than that both are located in Oneida County.

"At this point, we're focusing on getting all the information we need from the herds. We'll disclose the names and locations at the appropriate time," Chittenden said.

The department of Ag and Markets has authority over the captured herds and the state Department of Environmental Conservation has jurisdiction over the wild deer.

The DEC will begin the process of testing wild deer very soon, said Mike Fraser, spokesman for the state DEC.

"We're trying to set up an area around where the farms are and sample free deer in that area," Fraser said. "The DEC has had an aggressive sampling program in effect for a while now. We've taken 3,500 samples across the state and have never seen a positive test for wild deer."

Jim Edic is a longtime hunter from Westmoreland. Although he did not attend the banquet in Verona, he is concerned about the arrival of CWD in Oneida County.

"It's like the 'mad cow' disease of deer. It's kind of scary. It concerns me, but it's been out West for quite a few years. They tell us not to do anything with the spinal cord or the head. When deer is being butchered, they usually split the spine to prepare for cutting. I think they want them to leave the spine intact, which will make cutting the meat harder, but it'll be safer," Edic said.

Offline Hitem hard

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2005, 04:24:36 AM »
It has been in the local papers. A 6yr old doe was tested positive in a captive herd. This was in Oneida county. A few days later they found a 2nd deer with it in another captive herd. The second herd had taken some in from the first herd. The state is going to do heavy testing of the local wild population.

I am surprised that there has been no mention of anything on the DEC website. I've seen a link, I'll add it when I find it.

Hey venisonman , thanks for the response I'll check out the link. would have replied sooner but have been traveling

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2005, 08:26:54 AM »
Glad to help. They just found 3 more positive in the same herd. They are going to do extensive testing of the local wild population. I heard something like 450 deer.?!

Offline littlemissdoeeyes

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2005, 09:17:16 AM »
hey venison man were did you hear they found three more positive for the disease ?I missed it. I'm trying to watch this closely .I did see were they are going to kill 450 deer .but no details.This is scary stuff if you ask me.they don't mention the connection with the feed at all I know they discovered there was a connection in mad cow.They banned the feeding of any feed that contained animal by products ,or at least it was adviced .I think they figured we created these pron diseases by feeding animal by products to animals and then reprocessing them back into the feed over and over ,what do people expect when we mess with mother nature like that ,cows are supposed to eat grass not meat.People have to stop feeding wild deer,or we're going to have a real mess here.I haven't heard anything mentioned on were this palmer guy got his feed or were this deer originally came from.I think the government agencies are trying to pull the wool over the publics eyes .I hope the hunters organize and keep after them.
I also saw were one of the deer died from pneumonia caused by the disease I hope this guy didn't donate that deer to the dinner. yuk
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2005, 09:19:53 AM by littlemissdoeeyes »

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2005, 01:15:10 PM »
The 3 new deer were announced on the news Saturday night. They were also from the same herd, found during the follow up testing. Very scary indeed, if it spreads.

I don't want to get down on this owner yet. I don't believe they have confirmed the use of feed made from animal by-products. Where he got the deer stock is a good question. Also how long has he owned each deer? As far as I've heard everything he was doing was legal. 

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2005, 07:44:57 AM »
has there been any news from anyone from the dinner getting sick?

Offline littlemissdoeeyes

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »
it takes 16 months for a deer to show signs of the disease.It could take a very long time for people to show signs ,I'm going to say this right out load for all to hear there is no reason this disease wouldn't spread to humans and the health department and agriculture department know it.They are pulling the wool over these peoples eyes as well as yours .I read in the Utica paper that the bodies of these animals will be stored in a barrel on a freezer truck till the results of the tests come back and the negative animals will be either sent to a rendering plant or buried .Well you do the math on how many barrels will fit in this truck there are supposed to be 420 deer tested.Thats a lot of room for human error.and the fact that there even contemplating rendering any of these animals into dog food should tell you how serious there taking this thing.We gotta do something here guys I don't know what but this is a real mess.

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2005, 07:46:17 AM »
This particular problem could have been avoided all together . The person who owned those deer was / is a DEC employee of some sort. He has a dual permit for deer . He is allowed to raise them and also rehabilitate them. By doing this he has brought wild deer into direct contact with penned deer, and then released them into the wild again. The possibilities of infected deer in the area are staggering. This is not a new disease, it has been out West for around 30 yrs I believe, and those folks have not gotten sick yet. It is such a misunderstood disease that there is little info on it. New York will get more results out to us the public than many other states will. It is however going to be a long time, we are one of the most likely states to get this disease, our population of deer is higher than the carrying capacity that will always end in problems.

Offline buckblood

• Nubbie
  • Let em go so they can grow!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2005, 04:54:19 PM »
From what I understand this guy was also into taxidermy something your not supposed to do while deer farming. I don't understand why we need deer farms at all, its nothing but trouble. Deer are WILD, they're not supposed to be in a cage. This is what happens when you mess with mother nature.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2005, 01:28:48 PM »
I know this topic posted is old but recent news has come up that WILD deer have been tested and 2 have come back positive for CWD. They were found within a 2 mile stretch.

The DEC sent our mailers this year for licenses and it has a excerpt in there about this.

Jon

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
I hate to hear that BuckShotJon, here in WI that was a HUGE problem the last couple years. I hope it's a rare thing or they get it cut off before it's a problem.
Adam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal