Author Topic: Thundervalley 185 grain 3 blade broad heads  (Read 1289 times)

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
Thundervalley 185 grain 3 blade broad heads
« on: Oct 02, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Has anyone used the Thundervalley 185 grain 3 blade broad heads?  I just ordered a 3 pack off Amazon that I believe will fix an issue with my bow.  I have a PSE Nova that needs 420 grains of arrow/broadhead minimum.  I have been shooting only 300 grains or arrow and broad head.  My arrows are the Bemin Carbon Speed 340'S at 8.1 grains per inch with a 29" arrow.  The result has been a noisy cable, which is actually hitting the groove on the bottom limb.  I am certain not enough string energy is being absorbed by the arrow during let off which is allowing the string to hit the grove on the limb.  I recently restringed the bow and got new arrows leading to this problem, so I hope that by shooting a 420 grains of arrow/broadhead that I will correct this issue.  On a side not I do have the Limb Saver vibration dampeners on each limb and 2 spider leg silencers on the string. 
A. White

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: Thundervalley 185 grain 3 blade broad heads
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »

No I haven't but I use the MUZZY 100  gr. 3 blade with AWESOME results

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
I used these in 150 grain last spring for turkeys from my 45# recurve and they worked great. They needed to be sharpened better than they came, seemed like they were just rough  ground and had a burr on them.

I'm not sure that your arrow weight is what is causing the problem with the cable, since it started when you got new strings. Something else might be wrong? Cable or string too long? Is axle to axle and brace height correct?

Adding more weight to your arrows is probably a good idea, but doing it all by adding to the point weight will change the spine of your arrows and your tune, then the broadheads might not fly so well.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
CAPTJJ

Well today I finally sneaked in a little time to test these broadheads out.  They are a big broadhead and the weight can be felt at the tip when holding it.  The bow shot much much quieter than before, the cable is still making a bit of noise from vibration but I am thinking of putting some spider legs on it, which might not be legit but a fix for now.  I do agree that there is a lot of weight at the tip of the arrow.  I was very impressed that I did not have to change my pin as they hit dead on.  I am not sure why, I was shooting the same arrow with a 65 grain 3 blade muzzy before now the same arrow with 185 grain 3 blade.  I only use my first pin as this will get me out to 25 yards and that is my comfort distance.  The arrows seemed to track well and the bow was a lot quieter so this did help the problem.  I would have preferred to buy a heavier grain per inch arrow but that was not in the budget.  I have not checked the Axle to Axle and Brace height yet, I'lll have to look into that.  I did have this issue before replacing the cable.  I have not replaced the string, it is still the original.  Last year I started shooting this bow after it stayed dormant in its hard case for 3 years (I hate to say) and I do remember it being a bit noisy when shooting it.  I feel I neglected (all these years) to shoot the proper grain arrow and broad head combo, never gave it much thought.  One more not,all three broadheads in the package need to be sharpened, they wouldn't even shave hair off my arm tight now.  I'll use my 1200 grit Copper Oxide wet stone and hone em up nice.  I am eager to see what these will do to a deer.  Thanks for the info.

Axle to Axle and Brace height
A. White

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2014, 07:44:03 PM »
Well I looked on the line (on line) to see how axle to axle measurement is taken.  Not sure what the spec is off hand for the bow but will look at the manual.  I do know that I did screw limb bolt all the way in (max) and then unscrewed them equal turns until I got to the max spec draw weight (70 lbs).  As for the brace height...I will have to measur that, I do have a string square and have had to adjust my string nick a couple times as the rubber on the no k dried allowing the no k to slip up the string causing my arrows to totally miss the target.  I. Reading about brace height it did mention that the string can hit you arm during the release, which mine does.  I have found that my grip is tricky to get the right grip and not torque the bow.
A. White

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal