Author Topic: Coyotes at Night  (Read 26996 times)

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
Coyotes at Night
« on: Aug 26, 2004, 01:29:13 PM »
Anyone else hunt coyotes at night? I love it! Theres really nothing that compares to the rush of adrenaline that you get when a coyote comes running in and it's pitch black. When you first see the eyes of that 'yote charging across the field or through the woods, your heart gets racing. Then he stops 10 yards from you, and everything is still...until you put a 12 gauge slug in his chest, of course. Or how about when multiple 'yotes come runnin, and start fighting right there in front of you? On a full moon, when that electronic caller is blaring, or I'm screaming on my rabbit in distress call, the action can be intense. Other nights it's dull, and nothing happens. I love this, it's an awesome way to fill the gap between late muzzleloader hunting and ice fishing.

-Zach

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
Re: Coyotes at Night
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
Anyone else hunt coyotes at night? I love it! Theres really nothing that compares to the rush of adrenaline that you get when a coyote comes running in and it's pitch black. When you first see the eyes of that 'yote charging across the field or through the woods, your heart gets racing. Then he stops 10 yards from you, and everything is still...until you put a 12 gauge slug in his chest, of course. Or how about when multiple 'yotes come runnin, and start fighting right there in front of you? On a full moon, when that electronic caller is blaring, or I'm screaming on my rabbit in distress call, the action can be intense. Other nights it's dull, and nothing happens. I love this, it's an awesome way to fill the gap between late muzzleloader hunting and ice fishing.

-Zach

I've tried hunting them at night before with little success.  Usually just see alot of foxes.  We have better luck running them with dogs but I would like to figure out how to bag them with a caller.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2004, 11:14:35 AM by PA_BOWHUNTER »

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2004, 10:44:33 PM »
I've found that the key to success is MOVING. You may have to move several times before getting a response. I sit for 15 minutes, then if nothing happens, I move. Don't sit in one spot for too long. Rotating the speaker of your caller also helps.

-Zach

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2004, 06:48:41 AM »
I have tried several different calls from rabbit squeals to grey fox pup distress calls.  What do you use most often Zach?  I've called in numerous coyotes with a fawn bleat while archery hunting that would have been rugs if I hadn't been carrying my bow, just didn't get close enough to arrow them though.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:37:05 AM »
Yep, fawn bleats work great, but turkey calls and a turkey decoy work even better. A coyote will go nuts over a call and decoy! I've had them charge the decoy only to get a slug in the chest just before attacking it. Experiement with all sorts of calls, even some unorthodox ones. For instance, sometimes a jack rabbit call works even better than a cottontail.

-Zach

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2004, 11:13:30 AM »
Yeah, I've called in a number of coyotes while turkey hunting.  One of their favorite foods.  I've noticed when the coyotes move in thick the turkeys will hang in fields and barnyards much closer to people than normal.  I don't know if this is coincidence or the turkeys feel the more populated areas to be safe havens from the hungry yotes.  Either way, this is all good advice.  Thanks Zach, I'm really hoping to up my coyote take this season.  The only ones I've killed have been random while hunting other species.  My hunting party takes a good number each year with dogs but I have yet to kill one myself that way.

Offline bear baiter

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2004, 05:00:47 PM »
has anyone ever shot coyotes over bait in the winter i am going to try it this winter if every thing goes good

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2004, 08:46:00 AM »
has anyone ever shot coyotes over bait in the winter i am going to try it this winter if every thing goes good

No ;) but they will hit it regularly and it is a great place to start a track if you are hunting with dogs. ;)  So I've heard. ;D

Offline MARK G

• Fawn
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2004, 11:54:53 AM »
THIS IS SOME THING I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GET INTO.
ANY INFO ON HOW TO GET STARTED (CALLS, GUNS, LIGHTS, SETUPS) WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICATED
I LIVE AND HUNT IN THE LAKE PLAINS AREA OF WESTERN NY.
MARK G

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2004, 12:18:59 PM »
bear baiter- Yes, I have hunted over bait. A neighbor works at a slaughter house, and he'll bring me a huge garbage can full of pig guts and blood. The fresher, the better.

Mark G- Send me a PM and I'll give you some info. I can't right now, because I'm on my way to work.

-Zach

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:12:41 PM »
How did the hunting over bait work, I am interested in this, because I like haveing more than just three ways to hunt them, thanks
MASTERGUIDE

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2004, 03:06:34 PM »
what does everybody do with the yotes or foxes after shot?  curios, and want to try it, but never have just dump em or what?
Come on Archery season

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2004, 01:24:33 AM »
YOU SKIN THEM AND SELL THE HIDES, and if your weird you can eat them, but skinning them and selling their hides is what to do.  You can have them tanned for yourself too, which is very nice for a den or something, but yeah, its alot of good fun.  foxes go for 20-30 dollars this time of year, and coyotes go for 20-50, but it mainly depends on what area your in, and how pale the fur is.  When you skin them, case them, don't do the ancient cut down the middle style, or they won't sell.  If you want to know more on how to skin them reply, and i will tell you how to skin them, they are all mainly the same, just different sizes.
MASTERGUIDE

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:08:51 PM »
no idea how to skin em
Come on Archery season

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2004, 12:18:44 AM »
ok, start by hanging the animal back feet towards the sky on a gambrel, or a couple of loops that are tied on to his feet, or one foot, however you prefer.  take a knife, and cut a line, from the a...h.... straight acrooss and up the leg on the other side, and do it to both sides, cut the a....h..... out, then cut around his legs, all four legs, just above the feet, and the first cut you made, should end at the circle on the back leg.  then start skinning the animal around the legs, then when you get to the tail, use a tail stripper, or a plyers handle,  to put the tail in and pull it out of the fur.  (so leave the tail on) tail strippers work best, get metal, as plastic can break.  then basically pull down, you may have to cut your way down, until you get used to the strategy of pulling, just like a deer, but be carefull, a yote hide isn't as strong, so don't tear it, but u shouldn't have anything to worry about, just DO NOT cut down the belly, this is called casing the animal, so the skin after your done is like a case.  once you get down to the front legs, cut and make the skin separate from his armpit, so you can grab the leg and fur, and pull away from each other, then his leg will pop out, and the fur will be separated, do not cut down the leg, it should be left as a hole, then once you get down to the head, cut over the skull, then comes the hard part, the face, go until you find the ears, the first time you do it, you might not see them, but if you do, cut at the base of them , hard and fast, to cut it off, so there is no fur on the head, just a little hole where the ear used to be.  then do that to the other ear, then find the eyes, and make the same sort of cut, and make sure, all the fur comes off, even his eyebrows, and all, it should just be a skull with eyes.  then cut down, then find the nose, cut to the almost end of it, and make a good hard cut as close to the bone as possible, and make sure it all comes off, if you do it right, it will just be two little boney white nostril holes left, and when the nose comes off, and there is a little nose cartilage in side the nose on the hide yet, don't worry about it, thats good.  now the lower jaw is next, but make sure your nose cut isn't too hard, because it could rip the jaw off.  Just skin the jaw until the fur comes off, lips and all, then your done.  Turn the animal back around, so the fur is out, and have a look, it should look nice.  if you want to sell the hide, do not make any holes, because it will get deducted, actually you don't ever want to anyway.  Thats it, you will get alot better with each one you do.  this skinning is the same for almost all animals, even though other animals might have a different tail, or a different body structure, like a coon, you skin them all the same.  except beaver, which is still the old style of cutting it up the middle in the belly.  Have fun
MASTERGUIDE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal